November 14, 1893 (Letter, Duncan Brown to Julia Wheeler)

My dearest Julia

I hope this letter finds you in good health and high spirits. I must say you tax me very fairly with being a bad correspondent. I admit, upon reading your letter, I feel a pang of guilt for not corresponding as frequently as I should. Please accept my apologies for this.

After becoming the inspector of Whitby and shifting here, life has been rather busy with work and other responsibilities occupying much of my time. However, I realise, these should not come in the way of maintaining our cherished bond. To be honest, after you shifted to London after your marriage, mom and I really miss your presence here. She does not express it, but I can see it in her eyes. Whenever we talk about old days, and whenever you are mentioned, her eyes lighten up. After dad's demise, you and I were the only family she got. And she has never lived without you, so, it has been hard for her to live apart from you. It will take her some more time to adjust, but she will be fine. She is the strongest lady I have ever seen.

Whitby is an amazing place for sure, the people are really friendly here. I told mom to go for a walk every morning with me. The fresh morning air would energise her. You would definitely like this place for sure. I am already excited hearing you would come here! And whenever Augustus would return, we all would enjoy here together. Waiting to see both of you here in Whitby!

Okay, I won't make you further emotional. Besides, I am really bad at writing letters! Oh, and you asked about Catherine. You will be amazed to hear, yes, I proposed her! And the best part is that, she said yes! I feel so much blessed that I have her in my life. A lady like her, is what most men would have desired and wished for, but, she chose me. What can I say beyond this! And yes, mom too likes her very much. We decided, as soon as our families would gather together, we will get married. But I may have to delay it, as an incident has happened here in Whitby, and the police have to look into it until the final verdict comes out. A tenant was killed by the house owner, though we have not found any motive for it yet. We have to gather firm evidence for it. It's a firm responsibility for me as the police inspector of Whitby.

Alright, I'll tell you everything when you come here. Eagerly waiting for your arrival.

Your loving brother,

Duncan

P.S.- I haven't told mom, about your arrival. Let's keep it a surprise!