Chapter One: Newfound Freedom

Ayden's cell unlocked with a dull thud, his eyes ripping from the floor

"Prisoner 114, face the wall," The guard member ordered, Ayden quickly doing as he was told. Something cold was latched onto his wrist, a sharp pinch following it. The guard led Ayden out of his room calmly as 99 other teens began panicking around him. Clarke Griffin in front of him was yelling at a woman, but Ayden ignored the panic, keeping his eyes trained on the floor below him so that he wouldn't trip in the mass chaos.

Soon Ayden was led into a room filled with seats, and placed roughly into one of them. The guard did up his seat belt before leaving him to watch as the other teen prisoners were marched into the room and buckled in. On either side of him was placed a boy, and a girl. He knew these people. The boy was Nathan Miller, and the girl was Octavia Blake. Octavia was a second child, and Nathan was a thief. Finally, into the room was shoved a young man in a guard uniform, leaving Ayden tense. The guard buckled into a spare seat as the ground began to rumble. Was this a mass floating?

Nathan looked over at him, shooting him a look of concern.

"You good?" He asked, Ayden just nodded, looking over to Octavia. Everyone else he could see was fine too, as a screen flashed on. A message from a man began to play.

"Prisoners of The Ark, hear me now. You've been given a second chance, and as your Chancellor, it is my hope that you see this as not just a chance for you, but a chance for all of us, indeed for mankind itself. We have no idea what is waiting for you down there. If the odds of survival were better, we would've sent others. Frankly, we're sending you because your crimes have made you expendable," The Chancellor spoke.

"Your dad is a dick, Wells!" Someone called out.

"Those crimes will be forgiven, your records wiped clean," The Chancellor continued. "The drop site has been chosen carefully. Before the last war, Mount Weather was a military base built within a mountain. It was to be stocked with enough non-perishables to sustain three hundred people for up to two years."

Ayden heard cheering, and looked to the source. A young man who Ayden knew to be Finn was out of his seat, floating in the zero gravity of the ship. Ayden turned back to the screen, more interested in a chance at survival than some idiot going for an adrenaline rush.

"Mount Weather is life. You must locate those supplies immediately. Your one responsibility is to stay alive," The screen shut off as the ship crashed into the atmosphere, sending Finn and the other people who had gotten out of their seats into the ground. Ayden listened, hearing someone mutter quietly about the lack of machine hum. Unclicking his harness, he stood, moving to check on Nathan and Octavia, who were fine, and helping others unbuckle. Ayden moved to the people who had crashed into the ground. Oliver, and Jack. A soft sigh escaped his lips as he closed the boys' eyes and thought a quick prayer. In peace, may you leave this shore. In love, may you find the next. Safe passage on your travels, until our final journey to the ground. May we meet again. He moved towards and down the ladder, to see Octavia hugging the guard.

"Look at how big you are!" The guard commented, pulling away to look at her.

"What the hell are you wearing, a guards uniform?" Octavia replied as Ayden pushed his way to the front, the people parting when they noticed who he was.

"I borrowed it to get on the drop ship. Someone has got to keep an eye on you," The guard laughed slightly. Clarke pushed her way to the front, followed by a boy with buzzed hair that looked like the Chancellor from the earlier video.

"Where's your wristband?" She demanded, and Octavia spun towards her.

"Do you mind? I haven't seen my brother in a year!" So this man was the reason Octavia was in prison, her brother.

"Nobody has a brother!" A boy yelled out.

"That's Octavia Blake, the girl they found hidden in the floor!" A girl yelled in response. Octavia moved towards the voice, and Ayden put out a hand to stop her, meeting her eyes silently and shaking his head as the guard grabbed her, restraining her movement.

"Octavia, Octavia, no. Let's give them something else to remember you by," He said, not noticing that Ayden had already stopped her. Octavia turned back to her brother.

"Yeah? Like what?" She snapped back. Ayden frowned at the hostility between the siblings. Ayden didn't have any siblings, his mother had been floated before she got the chance to have anymore children, but he did know that siblings should love each other. Everyone that had ever passed through the Skybox had been like Ayden's siblings. He loved each and everyone of them until they were floated.

"Like being the first person on the ground in a hundred years," Octavia's brother responded, and Octavia perked up, moving to his side as the guard opened the doors. 97, Ayden thought as bright, white light seeped through the crack in the door as it slowly opened. Ayden looked out at Earth for the first time in his life. The door settled on the ground, and Octavia walked down it, Ayden following, ready to pull them both back into the safety of the ship if need be.

They both took a deep breath, the air unlike anything they had ever breathed before. It was so much fuller than anything he had ever breathed. Ayden watched as Octavia jumped off onto the dirt, keeping an eye on the surroundings.

"We're back, bitches!" She yelled, arms raising to the air, drawing a cheer from the delinquents on the ship. Everyone ran off the ship past Ayden, the guard checking in with Octavia before moving off to go what everyone else was doing: exploring newfound freedom.

chapter one is here! ayden is my favourite boy

chapter one is here! ayden is my favourite boy. i love him more than anything or anyone in this world. he is my baby.

also i splurged and got a free trial to canva, so that's what the new layout is from :)

comment your thoughts, all feedback is appreciated!