Water

[Unedited]

"How could you let this happen?" Giovanni questioned the boy.

Dove had been placed under strict surveillance and lockdown.

Devon had been "temporarily relieved" from his role as her bodyguard, and the girl would personally be under his and his second command's care until further notice.

It had been three weeks since he had last seen the girl, and it killed him.

It felt as if a part of him was missing, and he was running his mind mad thinking of her.

"I...I don't know." He paused in his thinking, and proceeded to take a deep breath.

"When can I see her again?"

Giovanni looked at the boy incredulously, he should be more worried about his life than seeing the girl.

The Capo and his close team were investigating the incident and had gone back and forth for the past few weeks trying to understand Devon's part in all this.

Did his enemies solely bear the weight of the blame? Was it not Devon who had left the grounds without proper clearance? Did he truly prioritize the girl's safety?

Several other questions they had debated on, but alas it was his decision at the end of the day.

In the meantime, Devon not only suffered from heart ache, but suffered physically.

He put him through intense punishment, starvation, and deprivation of sleep. It was evident through the scars and lashings on his body.

"Not until the board comes to a final decision about your reinstatement or release from your duties."

That could take days, or weeks, or even months.
Devon didn't have that kind of time and his concern was evident on his face.

The boy was in pain, but insane at the same time, Giovanni thought to himself.

"Again!" He commanded, and the guardsman shoved Devon's head underneath the water.

To his right was his fellow guard, Sean, and simultaneously they struggled to stay conscious.

"Here comes the sun doo-doo-doo-doo," Dove sang, while strumming her precious ukulele.

He requested that she sang for him. Which always brought him a sense of unimaginable peace.

She played before him and his board in a private room off-campus, away from the estate.

He had moved her here with him until further notice. Right now his whole world was being attacked, yet miraculously the center of his universe made it out alive.

He had watched the footage from the crash, thankfully they hadn't made it so far out of bounds from their surveillance system.

He knew exactly who hit their vehicle, and although he had planned to deal with the culprits, he needed a reason to keep Devon away from the girl.

He saw the way Devon immediately jumped to wrap his arms around the girl, even though he would have lost his life.

He saw how he ignored the driver and rushed to drag the girl out to safety.

He saw something in Devon's eyes that made him suspicious of his actions. A look that almost reminded him of Rio.

"Più forte!" He yelled.
(Louder!)

The girl flinched at his command causing her to play the wrong note.

"When will I see him again?" The girl whispered in his arms.

She felt his hold tighten around her at the question.

"Don't worry about him. Maybe if he took his duties more seriously, you wouldn't have to wonder." He spoke. She could feel the anger roll off of him in waves.

After a long pause, she responded with a question that left him perplexed.

"Do you love me?

Of course he loved her. There was no question that he loved her. He had killed for her, suffered for her, in fact he lived for her.

How dare she ask such a peculiar question.

"Mio Dio, sì," he answered with an extremely deep conviction.
(My God, yes)

She gazed into his eyes with unshed tears at the ready, and right as one slipped down her precious cheek, she said something, shocking him, "S'il te plaît, laisse-le vivre."
(Please, let him live.)

Soon after, she fainted in his arms.

His eyes widened, with one question on his mind, as he screamed for the medic team.

How did she know French?

Unbeknownst to him her past was starting to uncover itself, and the only one who truly knew its depth was drowning.

[Undisclosed location]

"How could you let her live?"
The man harshly questioned his team.

"Sir, the engine stalled on me last minute, I couldn't finish the job." The guard answered.

The man sneered, and prepared his gun to shoot.

"This was supposed to be a one and done. He knows we did it idiot, he's coming for our heads!"

He cocked his gun, and took off the safety.

The guard paled, knowing his life would end here and now.

"I had my best mechanic check the car before and after the crash, what really happened, Espinosa?"

He was going to throw up, how could he explain himself further. He knew the facts, what happened at the scene was unexplainable.

"I don't think it was chance. Something, or someone wanted that girl to live, sir."

This deeply angered the man, how dare he come in here and make such an excuse.

A long bang rang across the compound, and the guard's lifeless dropped to its knees and fell to into the dirt.

"Idiot," the man sneered as he kicked the corpse and walked back towards the arena.

"Someone clean this up!"

Author's note:

Hello, my lovely readers. I'm so excited to release  another chapter for you. It's a bit longer this time too!!

Kind reminder to please support with your votes, comments (I love reading them haha), reading list adds, and follows. I so very much appreciate it, it motivates me to write 🤍

I love you all, and God bless you and keep you.

- 🕊️