No Contact

Dove took in a deep breath of the warm
Louisiana air. She could feel the wind brush through her curly hair. She spent her afternoon, laid and outstretched in the small field behind her parents' house, with Argo and Zephyr cuddled up against her sides.

"What should I do, Argo?" She asked cradling her pet's face in the palm of her hands. Meeting him eye to eye. he whined, and licked her face. Not exactly the answer she was looking for, but a response nonetheless. "I bet you'd be very wise, if you could speak. Then, you would be able tell me what to do."

She turned towards the other pup, "Zeph, baby, will you tell me what to do?" He followed in suit with his brother, licking her face as well.

"I know we've only known each other for a little bit, but you guys are like my best friends." She smiled petting both of them, and scratching their soft bellies.

She laughed as their legs kicked into the air with joy.

Lying back down in a comfortable resting position, Dove looked towards the sky, her hands raised, twiddling her fingers in the air. She waved them around, allowing them to dance with the wind.

So feeling lost, she began to sing.

Give me the one my soul delights in,
Give me the one in whom my hope
is securely found.

Dove wanted to contact him. Maybe if she explained to him what happened to Devon back at the Academy he would understand. Perhaps if he had the opportunity to investigate the school closer, surely he would resolve everything. They had to give him the benefit of the doubt.

He was a fair man, so it was hard for her to believe that he would allow any of this behavior to go unchecked. He would do the right thing.

She was saddened at the fact that Devon believed otherwise. It seemed like he had come to terms with the injustice and was completely sure that he was responsible.

But, it broke her heart to think that the two men she felt dearly for were at odds end. Or, that anyone could be hurt, from simply trying to pursue educational or professional development.

So, she made up her mind. "I'll call him!" Dove sprung up from her lowered position, feeling confident about her plan of action. Argo and Zephyr looked towards her curiously, as if they too wondered what else she had come up with.

However, soon her resolve began to diminish. Why hadn't he called her already yet?

An overflow of questions began to pop up all around. Did something go wrong with the current investigation?

Why haven't they caught the culprits yet? Did he even miss her? Did he still want her to come back home?

Dove fell back into the grass with a dramatic huff. She didn't want to entertain the idea that he didn't miss her or that things had gone terribly wrong.

She just wished she at least had some kind of update. It had been weeks without any news, and it was beginning to make her head hurt all over again.

"No." That simple word alone caused Dove's heart to shatter into a million tiny pieces. She didn't expect him to turn her down so quickly.

"B–but why?" Her lips trembled. She didn't think she was asking for too much, but the sunken look in Devon's eyes made her stutter in fear.

"Because I said so. Even if we could contact him, we can't. We don't contact him, he can only contact us. And, the only way I see that happening is if you are in immediate danger."