Chapter 10 part 1

~9 years ago ~

*Luke's POV*

"Luke, you've been dating this girl for over a year, and we know nothing about her. I want you to take her to dinner with us tonight," my mother's stern voice came through the speaker of my phone.

I sighed, "Fine, Mother. I'll see you tonight at 6."

"Bye, honey! Make sure to dress nicely. You never know when the press will show up," she warned before hanging up abruptly.

I already dreaded tonight, and now she wanted to meet Kendra.

I let out a groan of annoyance and allowed my head to fall back on the couch.

I knew this meeting was long overdue, especially since Kendra was significant to me. I had planned to spend the rest of my life with her. She was the woman of my dreams. She had often asked about my family but would drop the subject once she saw how uneasy I got.

My family was like royalty; untouchable, with many important connections. Wealth and fame followed them, and unfortunately, I was raised in that environment.

This is not to say that I was a spoiled brat. However, I am thankful for the time I spent with my Nana Greta during my childhood. My parents were always busy with galas and dinner parties with their important friends, and they didn't have much time for me.

I never resented them. Despite their flaws, I had a happy childhood and was grateful for Greta.

I also enjoyed the benefits of their connections and wealth, getting the best education money could buy.

Although their connections helped me get into the most prestigious college in the nation, I studied twice as hard to prove to myself and others that I had earned my spot.

I was taken aback to discover that Kendra had no idea about my family's reputation. I was determined to shield her from my mother's critical gaze and outdated beliefs.

While I cherished my mother, I was adamant about not letting her influence Kendra negatively. I was aware that my mother sometimes took pleasure in putting others down.

Kendra was amazing just the way she was, but I worried that her perception of me might change once she met my family. She had already met Nana Greta, who was like a second mother to me, and they had formed a close bond, even having brunch together occasionally.

However, Nana Greta was nothing like my mother, a fact Kendra would soon discover.

Upon reflection, I realized I had underestimated Kendra, which disappointed me. Her strong will and vast knowledge made me believe she could handle my mother's criticism, with me by her side for support.

I quickly texted Kendra, inviting her to dinner with my family that evening.

She responded almost immediately with an enthusiastic 'Finally!'

I chuckled at her response and quickly replied, 'I love you.'

*Kendra's POV*

I was eagerly anticipating dinner tonight, so much so that I found myself dressed and ready an hour ahead of schedule. In the meantime, I was texting Nana Greta, expressing my nerves about the upcoming dinner.

Nana Greta was incredibly sweet and caring, reminding me of my late mother, which is why I had grown so fond of her.

Nana Greta's only advice to me was to remember my worth. Although I was a bit curious about her words, I decided not to inquire further.

Instead, I stood up and adjusted my white long-sleeve dress. The dress was simple yet elegant, reaching down to my knees with a flowy skirt. The sweetheart neckline, adorned with delicate lace patterns, added a touch of sophistication.