Chapter 98: Forward

27 Months Later

Donovan placed two files on the desk in front of Kieran, identical in their bindings, but quite different in their contents.

Kieran paused, eyeing both with great anticipation.

A grin split Donovan's lips as he slid one forward. "This is the invitation to the shareholders' ball." His other hand slid the other. "This is the invitation to acquire JJ Photography."

Kieran met Donovan's smile with one of his own. Both invitations had been a long time in coming.

In the span of two years, Kieran had managed to do a decade's worth of work. It had been difficult, at first, given that Cathleen had too many shady corporations all tied up in her biggest company, but one by one Kieran had managed to clean up the company and kick out the lowlifes bringing it down.

Acquiring JJ Photography was a personal achievement. Now that Kieran's two years in his mother's company had come to an end, he could pursue his own dreams on the side. For now, he didn't feel comfortable leaving the company to anyone else. Not until it had stabilized. But the offer from Jack to acquire the photography business had been the first step in Kieran's march toward realizing his own personal goals.

Jack had decided to leave photography and get a nine-to-five job, so that he might be a better husband to Natasha and father to their unborn baby.

No one—especially not Kieran—had ever seen that one coming.

JJ Photography would be better off in Kieran's hands, considering Jack had all the business ability of a penguin. He looked good in a suit, but tended to fall. A lot.

Kieran grabbed a pen from near the computer and opened the acquisition papers. One signature, and the business would be his. He signed without hesitation.

Donovan retrieved that file to return it to the people who would do the rest. Kieran's lawyers.

As for the shareholder's ball, Kieran didn't need to respond to that. He needed only to show up and play the part of host.

Donovan cleared his throat in a way that said there was more he needed to say.

Kieran leaned back in his chair. "Spit it out."

Donovan extracted a thick creme envelope from his inner jacket pocket and set it down on the desk. "This came in the mail to the company, but it's addressed to your care."

"My care?"

In two years, Kieran hadn't received any mail directly at the company. Invitations had all been sent to his new apartment or to his mother on his behalf. Company matters were discussed over the phone, not sent in the mail.

Kieran slid the envelope nearer him and inspected the return address. "An art gallery?"

"I'm just the messenger." Donovan shrugged.

For the sake of their curiosity, both his and Donovan's, Kieran slit open the envelope and retrieved the single embossed invitation card from within.

"You are cordially invited to attend the grand opening of the World of Colors exhibition." With a date, a statement about hors d'oeuvres and cocktails, and the operating hours of the gallery beneath. No explanation of why it had come, no mention of his name or the company's name.

"It's tomorrow," Kieran mused. "What's on my schedule?"

"An afternoon meeting with Jack. And your mother wanted you to go on a blind date."

"I'll have to attend the exhibition early, then."

Under no circumstances could Kieran refuse to follow the mysterious invitation that had been given to him. There were too many questions, too few explanations. Kieran had never been able to overlook a mystery.