The One With The Rookie And The Redfield

Harry woke to his head hurting. He didn't have any major injuries (his abilities made sure of that) but landing on gravel and metal wasn't particularly fun. 'At least I missed the flames' he thought as he looked at the smoking remains of the train. He was alone again and the train looked like it had been sitting there for a while. Harry decided to follow the tracks to the next station.

When He got to street level he found the road flooded with crashed cars, fires, and infected. There was one non-infected though. A man in a blue bomber jacket and jeans with sandy blonde hair was running away from a group of infected. Harry ran up to the man and yelled at the infected.

"Stop! Leave him alone!"

The effect was immediate, the horde stopped and began wandering off in other directions, like they had suddenly lost sight of the man or had never seen him to begin with.

"What the?" The man mumbled, turning to look at Harry. "How did you do that? No, more importantly, why is a kid out here alone?"

"I'm Harry." Harry said. "I don't know why I can do that but I can. Where are you going?"

"Leon Kennedy." The man introduced. I'm going to meet a friend at the police station, she's probably there already."

Harry smiled. "Then I'll come with you. If you don't mind that is, I can handle myself, I understand why you wouldn't want your friend around a dangerous freak like me." Harry's sunny tone faded away as he spoke, descending in to mumbles.

"Are you kidding me?" Leon said. "I'm not just leaving you out here alone! I don't know if it'll be safe at the station but it's got to be better than this."

Leon lead Harry to the police station but the main doors were locked.

"I could probably break one of those windows." Harry pointed at the windows on the side of the building.

"Great, get in there and stay safe. I'll find another way in." Leon took off his jacket and put it around Harry.

"Don't you need this?" Harry asked, trying to give it back.

"I'm not the one running around in short sleeves." Leon said. "You can give it back if you don't want it when you see me again."

"But what if I don't see you again?" Harry asked.

"You will, I promise. Now go!" Leon pushed Harry towards the window and took off around the corner.

Harry picked up a rock and threw it through the first non boarded up window. He cleared out the rest of the glass and climbed over the sill. His hands and bear feet were cut by the glass shards but Harry wasn't worried. The cuts weren't bad and would be healed by his powers soon enough.

"A kid!?"

Harry looked around his surroundings, he was in an office, there was a red crank on the big desk and a woman with brown hair and a red leather jacket.

"We need to get somewhere safe, I'll explain there." The woman grabbed Harry's hand. "I'm Claire by the way, are you able to walk?"

"I'm not hurt." Harry said.

Claire gave him a doubtful look and Harry realized how dirty and beat up he must look.

"I'm not hurt too bad." Harry corrected.

Claire grabbed the crank and led Harry out of the office. They ran past a couple of infected and through a dark hallway to a metal shutter. Claire put a white tube in a metal box on the wall and the shutter raised. The two of them walked into a grand looking hall. Harry glanced behind him and saw some infected walking towards them.

"Leave the hall alone!" Harry yelled at them.

"What?" Claire asked.

"Not you, the zombies." Harry said, watching the infected shamble away around the corner . "So you wanted to ask me something?"

Claire thought it was strange for him to yell at zombies but he was a kid. She shrugged it off and nodded.

"How did you get here and what happened to you? No, wait, I never asked your name."

"I'm Harry," Harry introduced himself, "I was on an underground train to get out but a big guy attacked and the train crashed. When I woke up I walked to the nearest train station and up to the street. A guy named Leon brought me here and gave me this coat."

"A train crash!? Holy crap, are you sure you're okay!? I found some first aid sprays and herbs if you need them. One of the boxes around here probably has bandages too." Claire led Harry to a pair of benches in the middle of the hall. One bench had an injured officer and a computer on it but the other was empty and Claire had him sit down on it.

"I don't need any of that, I'm just a bit scraped." Harry insisted.

"If you're sure." Claire knelt in front of Harry. "Stay here, I need to get the last medallion for that device," she pointed behind her at a plaque under the big statue that had three indents (two of which were filled) and a grate below it. "It should open a way out, you can come with me and we'll find somewhere safe."

"Okay." Harry said. "I'll wait and help you get out."

Claire patted his shoulder and stood up. "I'll try not to take too long." With that she left through one of the doors.

Harry looked at the man on the opposite couch. He hadn't stirred and his whole side was red with blood. He had that look, that aura Harry got when someone was turning. Harry could sense the infected and the sense of the man was getting stronger as the infection progressed.

"You can't hurt Claire." Harry said sternly and the man opened his eyes.

"What?"

"You're almost gone," Harry said, "I can feel it. And when you do turn you can't hurt Claire, or Leon."

"I don't want to hurt anyone." The man replied faintly. "I don't think I'll be in control though. You've seen those things."

"The infected, yes. I can command them. I'm telling you and what you will be that those two are not to be harmed or I'll make the infection mutate you until all you know is pain. Or I can make you impale yourself or blow yourself up." Harry said, his voice slipping into detached indifference.

"You're a weird kid." The man mumbled before falling back unconscious.

Satisfied that his threat had been clear, Harry laid back on the bench to wait for Claire to return.