Twenty

"What did you say?" Zhang Hao asks, confused.

"I said that that's what Gyuvin said and look what happened." Taerae sighs. "So please keep the promise. Like you said, we haven't known each other for too long, but we're really close, right?"

"Yeah, of course." Zhang Hao nods and smiles. "So I really promise. I'll succeed my mission, so you do that too. I'd be really sad if you failed... and Jiwoong would be devastated."

"Yeah, I know." Taerae nods.

"But why were you crying earlier? Did something happen with Jiwoong?"

"It's kind of a long story."

"I have time... unless you don't want to tell me, of course."

"Well... I don't remember if we had told you this or not, but you've been here for a few days and I think you should know." Taerae starts. "Jiwoong failed every chance he got to complete his mission, so he's not like us anymore. He doesn't have a mission to complete that will bring him back to live his normal human life. He just has something he can't do."

"Wait, what?" Zhang Hao asks, confused. "I think I heard about him not being 'human' anymore, but what does this mean?"

"His life right now is the punishment he's getting for breaking the rules. Jiwoong remembers every memory from his past chances and past lives. He has to live like this... knowing who his loved ones are and knowing they wouldn't recognize him even if they had him right in front of them."

"Wh-what do you mean? How wouldn't they recognize him? His parents wouldn't either? But they-"

"When we come here, our loved ones remember us by a different name and a different face. Even pictures taken of us look different."

"You mean to tell me... If I end up remembering a loved one and stood in front of them, they wouldn't know who I am?"

"No... they wouldn't."

"But what's the thing you said Jiwoong shouldn't do?"

"He can't by any circumstances... be close to Seok Matthew."

"What? Why? He's the one writing his destiny... why can't he be close to him?"

"Matthew and Jiwoong were together when Jiwoong was alive as a human." Taerae says, which makes Zhang Hao gasp. "So if he and Jiwoong even look at each other, Jiwoong will disappear for good. He has no more chances left."

"What?" Zhang Hao can't believe what he's hearing. "So both he and Gyuvin are writing the destiny of their lover?

"Yeah."

"But... so exactly how many chances are given to us?"

"Three chances to go back to your normal life."

"And what happens if we fail those three chances?" Hongjoong asks.

"Some get an extra chance as non humans, like Jiwoong did, but others just disappear and we never see them again."

"Have you seen anyone actually disappear forever?"

"Plenty of people." Taerae nods. "It's painful to watch."

"Wait, but isn't it unfair? I mean... some people get a harder mission than others. Honestly speaking, I thought my mission was the hardest of all since Hanbin is so sad all the time and I have to make him happy, but now seeing Jiwoong's and Gyuvin's missions makes me feel like I'm not as unlucky as I thought. Staying away from your soulmate has to be the worst feeling."

"Your mission is hard, but not impossible. The sooner you complete it, the easier it'll be and the sooner you'll be able to go back to your normal life."

"By the way... I don't mean to sound nosy, but what's your mission? You never talked about it."

"That's a story for another time. I'm kind of tired, we'll talk tomorrow, okay?"

"Okay, goodnight."

"Goodnight." Taerae stands up and makes his way to his room. Zhang Hao stays sat down on the couch, trying to process everything he was just told.

Seeing how Taerae and Jiwoong are treating Gyuvin, pretending not to know him, makes him wonder if this is really the first time he's been here.

This talk with Taerae made him end up with more questions than answers.