6

The next morning after Liam woke up, Caspian and the guards were gone.
He noticed a small paper bag on the table and opened it to look inside.

Inside the bag were several lumpy bread rolls.

What is this...?

Liam ripped one in half and discovered that there was a red jelly-like filling.

"Oh..." Liam took a bite of the bread and sighed happily.
They tasted just like the ones his mother used to make.

But who made these...?
That's when Liam remembered that when he had told Caspian about the rolls, Caspian said that he would have some made.

But all the other rolls of bread Liam had received so far looked much more appetizing and properly made than the ones in the bag.

Did Caspian make these...?

Liam looked out the window and noticed that more snow had fallen during the night, and there were several inches of snow covering the ground.
After several minutes, he put on his shoes and walked outside to the balcony.

"Good morning,"
Liam looked over to his side and noticed another guard. This one had dark tan skin like himself, but he had hair so light it almost matched the snow.

He must be from Feighn.

"U-um g-good m-morning..."
"Is there anything you need?"
"Uh, um, N-no, I j-just wanted to look a-at th-the snow..."
"It'll be here for a while, winter has only just begun,"
"Y-yes..."

"Did you sleep well?"
"Um, I.... u-uh... S-sir C-Caspian slept in the l-living room s-so I was awake m-most of the night..."
"I heard about that,"
"R-really...?"
"There's a small amount of us who keep guard over the young lord, so we keep each other updated."
"I see..."

"If you're still tired, you can always go back to sleep and I will tell no one to disturb you."
"N-no, i-it's okay... wh-what's your n-name?"
"Soren." He held his hand out to Liam.
Liam shook his hand hesitantly as he said, "N-nice to m-meet you... S- Soren... I-I'm L-Liam..." Ah, he probably already knows my name...
"Nice to meet you too, Liam." Soren smiled.

"I-Is s-sir C-Caspian awake...? I w-want to ask him something,"
"Ah, last I checked he fell back asleep after he left your side of the house."
"Th-that's good,"
"I hope you didn't do anything to him."
"H-huh?! Wh-what?" Liam got down onto his knees as he said, "I would n-never- I s-swear I d-didn't d-do anything, I p-promise, I-"
"Don't worry, it was a joke. Get up off the ground."

Liam stood up and scratched his arm before saying, "I-I'm g-gonna go b-back i-inside... c-can you p-please t-tell me when C-Caspian is a-awake...?"
"Sure."
"Th-thank y-you,"
"You're welcome."

Liam turned around and slid the door open.
"Hey, I have a question," Soren said before Liam stepped back inside.
"Wh-what...?"
"Is it something you were born with? The-"
"Wh-what...?"
"The stutter; is it- oh..."

Liam walked into the house and slid the door shut without saying anything.

Is it really that bad...? I've already been asked by what, three people? Maybe I should just stop talking again...

Liam grabbed some paper and ink along with a paintbrush before sitting down at the table and dipping the brush in the ink.
He started making small strokes with the brush.

Halfway through his drawing, a knock on the door startled him, resulting in him accidentally knocking over the ink pot, and it spilled all over the table.
"O-Oh no, th-this is b-bad..."

There was another knock on the door.
"I-I'm coming!"
Liam got up and slid the door open to see Soren, the guard he had ignored and closed the door on not even an hour before.
"..." Liam looked away silently.