3. arrows and swords

MINHO:

"So, how did you guys first meet?" An overly excited princess from god-knows-where asks us. It was supposed to be an engagement, but it felt more like it was a crime interrogation from the number of questions they were bombarding us with.

"At a funeral."

"At a wedding."

Hyunjin and I reply at the same time, and then look at each other. I chose funeral because it would probably make people uncomfortable and they wouldn't question us further about it. We probably should have gone through what we should answer to these things. 

"Actually, we saw each other for the first time at a funeral, but talked only at a wedding," I quickly clarify before anyone could get suspicious. Hyunjin lets out a barely audible sigh of relief for the quick damage control. The rest of the night went in similar kinds of small talk, which our stories somehow had sync in. Then came an interesting question : how did I propose to him?

"Oh, I love this story," Hyunjin says before I speak, and I could tell that he was about to give a really convincing dramatic narration of this fake proposal that never happened. "So, one day my friend Jisung took me out for shopping to distract me so that Minho could make arrangements. I was completely oblivious to it and when we reached back, he locked me inside the palace gardens. Only then I saw that there was a whole trail of flowers and candles leading to a table filled with my favorite food, all cooked by Minho. He was standing there all dressed up, and get this, he even got a band of violinists to play my favorite classical pieces! I walked up to him and that's when he got down on one knee and popped the question. It was so romantic!" He finishes, clutching his heart like it was his most treasured memory.

The entire audience was captivated by the story. Hell, even I was convinced that I really proposed to him after hearing it. He definitely had a knack for story telling.

"I didn't know you were such a good actor. I almost believed you myself," I say to him, impressed. "Is that your dream proposal?"

"Pfft, no. I don't have one. I just made it up on the spot. I'm naturally good at improvising like that," he replies, flipping his hair sassily. From the way his eyes changed when he was telling the story to the crowd, I could tell that it was something more than just a tale he "made up on the spot." I don't question it further.

After the entire programme is over, Hyunjin and I slowly trudge to our room. It was so exhausting to be standing there and spitting a whole lot of fake nonsense and pretending we're in love. I notice Hyunjin looking all gloomy, sitting on the bed.

"What's the matter?"

"It's nothing. Not like you'd care anyways," he snaps back.

"I can at least listen, you know?" I say. He hesitates for a moment before speaking up again.

"It's stupid, actually. I just can't believe I'm getting married before even having been in a proper relationship before."

"Wait, I'm your first?" I ask, genuinely surprised.

"...yes."

I go silent. "Hey, why aren't you saying anything? Is this not your first as well?" He asks. I decide to take the opportunity to tease him.

"Well, I faintly remember a certain Han Jisung in my memory," I say, pretending to think. His eyes widen.

"No way. That bitch didn't even tell me!" He gasps.

"You need to stop falling for that so easily," I say with a laugh. His reaction was priceless.

HYUNJIN: