18. misunderstanding

MINHO:

"No! Don't let me go! Mom, say something!" I scream as I get dragged by my hands outside the house. I look pleadingly at my remorseless father, another fat droplet rolling down my tear stained cheeks. Mom hides Felix behind her as he looks apprehensively at Dad, a tiny lump of fear building inside the mind of the four year old.

"Actions come with consequences, Lee Minho. You're going and that's final. You can come back once you've learnt your lesson, but I know you never learn," he says, not even an ounce of sympathy to spare for me.

"But those men there hit me! What did I even do wrong?" The words come out through broken sobs.

"Your existence itself is a mistake, boy!" A firm slap lands on my face and I cup my reddening cheek in the palm of my hand. I never saw the end of this routine. "Don't you dare try talking back to me again. Leave. Right now."

"NO!" I yell, jumping up. I look around and I realize that I was in my bed with a very concerned looking Hyunjin next to me. It was a dream. My voice must have woken him up. I take rapid breaths and shakily attempt to wipe the beads of sweat off my face.

"What happened? Are you okay? Bad dream?" Hyunjin bombards me with questions, cupping my face and running his thumb over my cheeks to wipe the tears away. I nod, looking away.

"I don't know what you saw, but it's not real, okay? You're safe and you're fine. You've got me, I'm always here," He says soothingly, bringing my head to lie on his chest as he runs his fingers through my hair. I slowly ease into his touch, eyes fluttering shut as I get comfortable in his embrace. I wrap my arms around him like a koala bear and let myself completely rest on him. I really need to get more sleep before I keep seeing these dreams again.

HYUNJIN:

It was time for the last fencing tournament of the year, which meant Minho was away practicing his moves and maneuvers any free second he got outside of the office. It was really important to him that he ends the year with a good match and I've been wanting to help him out some way or the other. I'm not lying when I say that the only time I see the guy is when we eat or head to bed. I felt bad that he was overworking himself both mentally and physically with all his duties and practice.

This also meant that Changbin was going to be here. I've figured that he's not serious about anything he says to Minho and does it just to get him riled up, so I've learnt to use that fact to Minho's advantage today.

"I wasn't invited to the wedding. I'll be honest, I'm offended," Changbin approaches me, faking a wounded expression.

"Hello to you too," I reply in a bored tone, least interested in engaging in any sort of conversation with him.

"What's going on here? What are you doing with Hyunjin?" Minho appears, creating some distance between the two of us. I look expectantly at the shorter man, waiting for the magic words to spill out of his mouth.

"So, I've been thinking. Hyunjin's gonna be mine for the rest of the day if I win tonight. Whatcha say?" He says casually, leaning against the wall. Bingo. Not exactly what I was expecting but it'll do. I can already tell exactly how this will play out.

"It says a lot about your character to bet on a married man," Minho scoffs. That was Step 1 : Changbin's sarcasm totally flying over his head in his temper.

"I'm up for it," I say, plastering a look of utter certainty on my face as I confidently fold my arms. Minho's jaw almost hangs open at my words.

"Hey, did you actually think I'm-"