Chapter 3

Shatteredpaw sat in the clearing of the medicine den, placing the herbs they'd gathered on their way back, on to the shelves

Shatteredpaw sat in the clearing of the medicine den, placing the herbs they'd gathered on their way back, on to the shelves. He'd just finished soaking his cracked paw pads in cool water to sooth them after running across the thunder path. He'd learned this the first time he left camp. He had stepped on a thorn and Saptoes had given him a full lesson on how to treat wounded or sore paws. His mind troubled by his strange dream. Was that a normal dream?

He could just barely hear his mentors whispering to each other in their den, clearly not wanting Shattered'Paw to hear, but given he was blind his hearing was better than most.

"What could it mean?" Cloverflower meowed.

"I'm not sure, it could be an omen, but then again, what kind of omen would that be?" Saptoes replied.

"Maybe it's just markings that appear as he grows, like Darkstar's peculiar pelt. After all he is Shatteredpaw's father," Cloverfeather suggested.

"Maybe..." Saptoes whispered, and then it grew silent. Shatteredpaw had paused, he had no idea Darkstar was his father. Why had no one told him, why hadn't he guessed? He new very well who his mother was, who seemed to despise him almost as much as his sister did. His father, Darkstar, was the opposite of his mother and sister. Shatteredpaw had always assumed his father was overly sincere because he was blind. Now he knew why all his interactions with his leader were so distinct, and quite awkward at that.

As he sorted herbs, his head shot up, for he heard vicious snarls and spitting. At first he thought they were under attack until he heard Violetpaw's unmistakable screeching, echo the camp with rage.

"Let go of me! I don't want to go in there!" She spat. He could hear she was being dragged, dragged by what smelt like his mother, Willowfur. Great, the two cats who despised him more than any other, were on their way to see him. He could hear them fighting each other in protests until, to Shatteredpaw's dread, they made it up to the medicine den. Following close behind was Ravenpelt, her mentor, who was letting out exasperated sighs. Shatteredpaw would feel the same way if he had to mentor Violetpaw.

"This is outrageous!" His sister spat. Just then he heard his two mentors creep from their den.

"What seems to be the problem?" Saptoes demanded.

"Nothing is the pro-"

"She hurt her leg, can you take a look?" Willowfur hissed, cutting Violetpaw from finishing.

"I'd rather claw my own fur off then get help from him," Violetpaw snarled.

"Shut your trap or I'll be the one clawing fur," Willowfur hissed. Shatteredpaw could barely comprehend that a snarky cat like Willowfur could be mates with Darkstar, an easygoing leader. "Well?" His mother meowed with impatience. He could hear an amused mrrr, from Ravenpelt as Willowfur snapped.

"I think we could let Shatteredpaw take this one," Cloverfeather suggested.

"What? You're kidding... absolutely not! I'd be glad, if it were anyone else!" Shatteredpaw objected, flicking his tail in defiance. His sister was a spitting menace, he could barely interact with her without wanting to claw her away. A moment of silence went by, until Saptoes nudged him forwards. Shatteredpaw hissed in protest. He knew his mentors probably didn't want to deal with Violetpaw any more than he did.