Chapter 19

Shatteredface stood in silence. The group decided to travel deep into the carrion place to mask their scent from any ShadowClan patrols. They were now rested deep within two leg rubbish which stung his nose through its awful scent. The air was cooled and his group consisted of, Fallenkit, Driftkit, and Copperpaw. He was sure they were all asleep, otherwise he'd have to hear Driftkit complaining and the other two arguing with him. They'd just spent all day debating on whether or not Driftkit and Fallenkit would come. Of course Shatteredface lost that argument as well. 

Sharteredface could only assume it was night, but he couldn't bring himself to sleep. The carrion scent was familiar, but not in a good way. It reminded him of the rogue. The very rogue who killed his mentor, and who he had killed himself. It brought back bad memories and a quenching feeling in his gut. This feeling which he often felt, but not so strong as it felt that night. He was afraid, angry, and even lost. It was all a whirl wind of emotions, he wasn't sure how to process. He thought about talking to Copperpaw, but would she understand? She came with him this far just to help him after all.

Shatteredface turned to where Copperpaw was asleep, her breath was steady as she slept. He nosed his way towards her scent to where his whiskers twitched and he sense her only about a mouse length away. He ignored his whiskers warnings and buried his nose in her moss scented fur. He took in a deep breath and carefully curled himself next to her. He was glad she came with him, but he also was afraid she'd leave him at any moment. If she saw the real him, she wouldn't want anything to do with him. He felt her shift in her sleep, the two kits were nestled against her. It was a cold night, and he felt the three cats press into him, giving him warmth. He let a small purr rumble.

*               *              *

"Wake up!" Shatteredface jolted awake, his fur plastered against him with mud. He took in a deep breath and shook himself. It took him a moment to realize where he was. "Come on, we have a long day ahead of us," he recognized Copperpaw's voice as she chirped. He breathed in her moss scent, closing his eyes and remembering how beautiful she was. He immediately felt guilty, remembering he'd hurt her. He heard his kin groaning beside him. Without warning, Copperpaw was nudging him up.

"Where are we going to go?" Fadedkit asked sleepily.

"Well, I've been thinking last night, about the prophecy," Copperpaw continued. "Fire creates ash, right? And the one who walks the dangerous path might create this fire."

"Yes, and?" It was Driftkit who huffed, Shatteredface could hear him staggering to his paws.

"Lightningstar. Lightning causes fire, right? He could be that cat."

"Lightningstar? How can you be sure?" Shatteredface meowed. He didn't know much about Lightningstar, and he had missed more than a few gatherings.

"I mean, at gatherings, when we see him, he's always so... shady, and he's definitely not the friendliest cat. ThunderClan patrols are always so hostile, like there hiding something. Maybe Lightningstar is planning something evil," Copperpaw meowed. He could hear her pacing determinedly.

"That could be a start, I guess," Shatteredface yawned. 

"Does this mean we're going to ThunderClan?" Faded'Kit meowed. It was silent for a long heartbeat. Were they really going to do this?

"Shatteredface?" Copperpaw broke him from his thoughts.

"Yeah, y-yes. We can stop Lightningstar before the fire happens," he answered, still taking in what she was saying.

"If he starts one at all. We could be going in the wrong direction," Driftkit objected.

"Well I'd love to hear it if you have any better ideas," Copperpaw pointed out. Driftkit was silent. Shatteredface couldn't help but admire her determination.