Chapter 11

A moon had past, now and Shatteredpaw spent his time either training with Copperpaw, or helping Cloverfeather with medicine duties. During training, Shatteredpaw developed a new found temperament. This wasn't a particularly good temperament, but he needed to Arden himself. He needed to be good enough to stop the rogue, who still left occasional traces in their territory. This frustrated Shatteredpaw, who developed built up hate for this rogue as time goes on.

That day he was out training with Copperpaw and Hornetpaw, and his mentor Roseshade. Shatteredpaw was up against the petty apprentice, Hornetpaw, who had infuriated him almost as much as Violetpaw. 

Shatteredpaw used what he had learned so far to carefully calculate each move. He felt Hornetpaw's muscles tense, ready to spring. Shatteredpaw quickly maneuvered away from the attack, springing in the direction of Hornetpaw, pinning him down with poise. Hornetpaw went limb, but Shatteredpaw wouldn't let him go that easy, not when he had learned so much.

 Shatteredpaw thought carefully for a moment before releasing his grip. Hornetpaw shot up, but Shatteredpaw had ducked and quickly struck the apprentice, his claws unsheathed, heart pounding with adrenaline and satisfaction.

"Ow, my beautiful face!" Hornetpaw yelped.

"Enough!" Roseshade called, showing clear concern for her apprentice. Shatteredpaw lifted his head triumphantly. He took a deep breath of satisfaction.

"Copperpaw." Fallentail meowed. Just then the mossy scent of Copperpaw was nearing. Instead of stalking him, she unexpectedly leaped at him with no hesitation. Before he could even react, Shatteredpaw was pinned. He flailed his paws trying to kick her off until she grabbed hold of his ear with her teeth. If he moved his ear would be ripped off, and he knew he wouldn't be able to pull any tricks on her. Copperpaw was a fierce fighter who always found clever ways to beat him. He'd grown skilled while training with her, but she was getting harder to predict that his other opponents. Heartbeats later she let go and stepped back. And he shook his ruffled fur.

"Well done," Roseshade purred, the warrior obviously taking note on her own training with Hornetpaw.

"You may have won against Hornetpaw, but he's still inexperienced," Fallentail explained as the apprentices gathered around.

"Yeah so what. I won, and  I'm blind," Shatteredpaw snorted. "That should mean something."

"That's not the point Shatteredpaw-," Fallentail was interrupted when Cloverfeather's scent came through his nose. "Is there something you need, Cloverfeather?"

"I need Shatteredpaw," she replied cooly. Since Saptoes had died, Cloverfeather had taken on the full training of Shatteredpaw. She seemed more dignified and stern. Her friendly nature seemed to fade as Saptoes did.

Shatteredpaw flicked his tail and followed his mentor back to camp, she made him carry a clump of dock leaves and daisy. As they made it to the den Violetpaw spoke, and his already darkened mood grew.

"Gee, about time. Where's the prey? My leg is sore," she whines. Just the other day she had argued her leg was just fine. Defiantly leaving the den, she somehow managed to sprain her leg. To Shatteredpaw's luck it wasn't too serious and would heal rather quickly. The sooner his unbearable sister left, the better.

Shatteredpaw grabbed poppy and slowly crept to his sister, narrowing his eyes and flattening his ears. He tossed the poppy at her and snorted.

Violetpaw let out an offended gasp. "You dumb fox-heart! No wonder Saptoes was so eager to die," she hissed. As soon as she spoke, his patience was lost, replaced with a blaze of fury. Violetpaw had crossed the line. He knew she would never understand, but it gave her no excuse to say anything about his mentor, especially not in that manner. Shatteredpaw let out a yowl and leaped at the putrid she cat. He gripped her pelt with his claws and teeth. She wailed, trying to get him off, but he held on, cursing his sister. "What are you doing!" She screeched.