Chapter 15

"Just stay out of trouble, and stay out away from Violetpaw, and more importantly stay in camp. It'll rain soon and there could be anything out there," Cloverfeather instructed, "oh and don't foe to bring the dried herbs inside before it rains," she added. Cloverfeather was just about to leave for the gathering, chastising him for causing trouble to keep him from his first gathering. She seemed more excited for him to go than he himself. Shatteredpaw stood in his nest and let out a huff. Violetpaw had yet again influenced his temper and caused trouble.

As he sat his stomach growled, remembering the fight that kept him from getting a piece of prey. He lifted himself to his paws, stretching his achy muscles. He cautiously padded down the slope towards the fresh kill.

"Everything would've been better if you had died with that stupid rogue," Violetpaw's voice meowed. Shatteredpaw jumped, startled. He hadn't even realized she was near by. His fur shot up and he prepared himself for another fight.

"I could say the same for you," he snapped defensively. He stood by this, it really would be better if she was gone. She ruined everything.

"Oh really? Last I checked I hadn't murdered a cat in cold blood."

Shatteredpaw let his fur relax. "You have no right criticize me. I did what I had, I was protecting the clan! Besides, you would've done same if the rogue had killed mother wouldn't you? Or are you the heartless monster everyone thinks you are."

"At least I'm not a murderer, it's against the warrior code. You don't really expect the clan to forgive you, do you?"

"I don't! But it doesn't matter. I don't even care!" Shatteredpaw snapped. He stopped in thought for a heartbeat. Was she right? She shook his head. His sister was awful, there was no way he'd believe her when she was as evil as any rogue.

"Why don't you care?" She pressed.

"Because, you're all the same!" He he snarled at her, as rain began fall on his pelt. The two cats were silent for long heartbeats. "You'll never understand this, because all you care about is yourself, but I never asked for all of this. This fox dung of a clan couldn't care less if I just vanished! You wanna know why I don't care? Because you all secretly wish I had died." He finished. He felt a cold tingle though him. He heard a quiet mrrrow in his head. This wasn't entirely true, he had Cloverfeather, Copperpaw, and even Dovenose and her kits. 

Shatteredpaw's heart sank as he thought of their kindness, but his clan had caused as much emotional pain as the rogue did externally. He thought of the path he was to take. He had been stuck at camp, in the medicine den getting nowhere. He snatched a piece of fresh kill and stormed his way out of camp. Maybe his journey needed him to leave. "Where are you going? You're not supposed to leave camp!" Violetpaw snarled.

"Who's gonna stop me?" He grunted. 

"If you're missing, everyone is going to blame me!"

"Maybe they should!" He snapped.

As he quickly trailed his way through the forest, towards the four trees, he could hear his sister racing after him. Mud plastered at his paws as the rain began to fall harder. "Get back here you selfish fox heart!" His sister snarled.

He stopped in his track and whirled around, his whiskers felt her stop straight in front of him. "Me? Selfish? Are you serious right now? All you ever do, is make everything about you. At least I'm not heartless," he let out an exasperated scoff. "Keep falling in Willowfur's paw steps and maybe you'll end up just like her!" He spat. 

"How dare you!" She gasped. When he ignored he and padded on she snarled to him, "I hate you!" She shrieked, leaping at him. As he heard her paws raked the mud he ducked and swerved, flexing his claws in her direction so that he could catch her pelt. He caught her fur with his claws and slammed her into the muddy ground.