•T H I R T Y - F I V E•

MATT's POV
"Eggs, ham, spinach, tomatoes, what else?" I asked myself, moving around the kitchen of Josie's family beach house. "Coffee." I whispered, whipping around and nearly running her mom over.

"Good morning Matt." She smiled, placing her hands on my shoulders to right herself.

"Good morning Celine." I chuckled, moving past her towards the coffee pot.

"Breakfast in bed for Rory?" She asked, sliding into a stool at the island.

"Yeah." I blushed, pouring coffee in two mugs.

"Oh she'll love it." Celine grinned, watching as I put the eggs on a plate with strawberries and raspberries in yoghurt.

"I hope so." I smiled. "I grabbed some flowers for you while I was out walking moose."

"Oh Matt." She grinned, accepting the bouquet I handed her. "Thank you so much."

"Of course." I smiled, wrapping my arms around her.

"I'm not sure if her siblings told you, but Josephine doesn't really date anyone. She's always been more interesting in her career and future than having a relationship." Celine smiled. "As her mother I always knew deep down she'd meet someone at work. I just hope she's able to separate work from her relationship with you. But she seems so happy, I don't think I've ever seen her this laid back until after she met you."

"That means a lot." I grinned. "And I do think she separates work from friends really well, she's definitely helped me separate the two."

"Well, I couldn't be happier for her, I know it hasn't been long, but I am a mother, and I do think the two of you are very good for each other." She said, running a hand over my shoulder.

"My mom actually said almost the same thing last week." I chuckled, grabbing the coffee and flowers as well as the food I made for Josie.

"A mother's intuition." Celine laughed. "I'll clean this up, you go wish my baby a happy birthday."

"Thank you." I smiled, making my way out of the kitchen.

I walked up the stairs and down the short hallway to Josie's room. I quietly opened the door and set her coffee and flowers on the nightstand, doing my best not to wake her up.

I glanced over and noticed she was still sleeping soundly. I leaned down and placed a kiss to the side of her head, running a hand over her hair. Josie's eyes fluttered open, looking around before meeting mine. As soon as they did her smile lit up.

"Happy birthday." I whispered, leaning down to kiss her.

"Wait let me brush my teeth." She laughed, trying to push me away. I giggled along but still kissed her as she giggled. My favorite sound.

"I'll kiss you whenever I want." I sassed, laying my lips on hers again.

"Matt." She groaned, reaching out to my arms, smiling. "I'm surprised you haven't called me a cougar yet."

"Oh just you wait." I smirked, grabbing a pillow. "Here sit up."

"Thanks." She smiled.

"I made you breakfast." I grinned, handing her the plate of food.

"Awe Matt." She gushed, looking over what I made her. "I'm so proud you didn't burn the house down."

"I came close." I chuckled, walking around the bed to join her. "But I kept it simple, and I kept moving the eggs, I didn't leave them still."

"I'm glad you're learning." She smiled, turning to look at me while she scooped some eggs on her fork. "Mhm."

"Good?" I asked her. "You don't need to lie to me."