第一章:神奇的任务

"Here's your reward for going to North Africa," Old Lin carefully took out two wrinkled hundred-dollar bills from a nicely wrapped piece of tattered cloth and handed them to Lin Yi, who was eagerly watching beside him.

Lin Yi didn't understand why his missions were so dangerous, his enemies so powerful, and yet the benefits he received were so meager in the end.

Where did the old man get these top-notch missions for him? Every time it was a life-threatening situation, but the rewards he received were just fifty or a hundred bucks, and sometimes even three or two bucks... Every time Lin Yi thought about this, he felt like crying.

Taking the two hundred bucks that he had earned with his life, Lin Yi's strongest desire was to curse: "Damn it! Even though I'm an orphan and haven't had a mother since I was a child."

Having spent fifteen years learning martial arts and studying under Lin Lao, who raised him, Lin Yi considered himself a well-rounded individual. In ancient times, he would have been a top scholar in both civil and military affairs, but now he was treated like a laborer... When will this end?

I heard that in the city, you can earn tens of thousands a year just by building houses, while he struggled day in and day out for a measly eighteen hundred a year...

"Old man, are you playing me? Two hundred bucks? I seriously doubt you're shortchanging me on my reward." Lin Yi had doubted this more than once, but the old man was just like him in dress and diet, and didn't look like a wealthy person.

"Just be glad you're getting paid. Do you think money is easy to come by these days?" Lin Lao rolled his eyes and said impatiently, "What? Don't want it? If you don't, give it back to me. It's been a while since I visited the widow's snack bar at the village head's place."

Lin Yi really wanted to beat the skinny old man in front of him senseless, but he knew that if he laid a hand on him, he'd get beaten up.

Lin Lao's martial arts skills were unknown to Lin Yi, but he knew that every time they practiced together, Lin Lao never went all out. Just when his own skills improved by a notch, he suddenly found that the old man had also improved by a notch, and he was still no match for him.

"All right, you've been through quite a bit these years, and it's almost time for that big event." Lin Lao, sitting cross-legged on the kang, didn't even lift his eyelids, munching on a plate of fennel beans in front of him. "Once you complete this mission, you won't have to worry about food and drink for the rest of your life!"

"Really?" Lin Yi knew that since he was picked up by the old man when he was three years old, he had been learning martial arts, medicine, and worldly knowledge from him, all in order to do something big. But Lin Yi doubted whether the rewards for this big event were as much as the old man claimed. Could one mission provide for a lifetime?

"When have I ever lied to you?" Lin Lao threw another fennel bean into his mouth. "Are you going or not? If not, I'll find someone else."

"I'll go, of course!" Lin Yi thought, what a good deal, only a fool wouldn't go! One mission could set him up for life, and he wouldn't have to struggle like this anymore. Even if it was a dangerous mission, it would be worth it!

"Good, then go. You go to Songshan City, Pengzhan Group, and find someone named Chu Pengzhan. He'll tell you what to do next." Lin Lao's mouth twitched with a barely perceptible smirk. "But you have to think carefully. Once you take on this mission, you must see it through to the end and can't back out halfway."

"Why? Can't people run away if it's dangerous?" Lin Yi wasn't a one-track-minded person. He wouldn't do something he knew would lead to death.

"Xiao Yi, I've raised you for fifteen years, fed you, clothed you, bought you a laptop, and even bought you a 3G network card..." Lin Lao's eyes rolled as he went on and on, "I ask you to do something, and you have so many questions. Don't push me!"