Chapter 10: Bad Idea

Lin Yi sniffed disdainfully. Heck, back when he was on missions in the deep mountains, he'd slapped down plenty of wolves with a single palm, toothless and all. So, a Rottweiler was no big deal.

"See that?" Chu Mengyao boasted, "That's General Mighty for you. Let me tell you, he's pretty fierce. If you dare to go upstairs, I'll have him bite you!"

"Got it," Lin Yi nodded.

Seeing Lin Yi looking cautious, Chu Mengyao thought he was afraid of General Mighty. Feeling even more smug, she dragged Chen Yushu upstairs, leaving General Mighty guarding the staircase.

Lin Yi picked up his luggage, shot General Mighty a glance, and the dog shuddered, instinctively backing away. It seemed to sense that the person before it was no ordinary character.

Lin Yi wasn't interested in playing with the dog, though. After the stare, he ignored it and headed to the room Chu Mengyao mentioned earlier.

The room was simply furnished, with just a bed, a desk, and a small wardrobe. But it was sufficient for Lin Yi. His luggage contained only a few tattered clothes, nothing else. What surprised Lin Yi the most was the private bathroom in the room, almost like a hotel!

After settling his luggage, Lin Yi grabbed a towel and headed to the bathroom. The journey had left him dusty and dirty.

Glancing at the clock, it wasn't even six yet. Lin Yi decided to take a shower before Fubao brought dinner. So far, he was quite satisfied with his job and the environment. Living like he was in a hotel every day and earning thirty thousand, where else could he find such a job? It was much better than staying at home and helping the old man make straw shoes.

"Xiao Shu, I'm starting to regret this. Lin Yi doesn't seem like someone who can be my shield," Chu Mengyao complained as she changed into a set of home clothes, talking to Chen Yushu.

"But I think he's pretty good," Chen Yushu lay on the bed, her legs propped up against the wall in a weird position. She had read somewhere that this could slim the legs and promote growth.

"What's good about him? I was thinking of finding a handsome guy to pretend to be my boyfriend, but now, I've ended up with this country bumpkin. If I take him out, people will laugh!" Chu Mengyao clenched her teeth in frustration. "If you think he's good, why don't you be his girlfriend?"

"I don't have troubles, I don't need a shield. Otherwise, I might consider it," Chen Yushu said, shaking her head.

"You have a brother who's a military officer, who would dare to mess with you? If I had a brother who could kick down a big tree with one foot, I wouldn't need a shield either!" Chu Mengyao knew Chen Yushu was deliberately provoking her, but who asked her to have a brother while she didn't?

"Mengyao, how about I ask my brother in the army to find you a male protector?" Chen Yushu blinked. "Or maybe Brother Qing, is he still obediently staying aside?"

"Xiao Shu!" Chu Mengyao, seeing Chen Yushu's increasingly absurd ideas, widened her eyes in anger. "What rotten ideas you're suggesting! You suggested I ask my father to find me a protector, and look, what kind of person did we get? Can he even be a shield? Now you're suggesting another ridiculous idea. It's so unpleasant!"

"Alright, alright, I won't say anything anymore," Chen Yushu quickly shut her mouth when she saw Chu Mengyao getting angry, realizing that she did bear some responsibility for suggesting the shield idea.

When Fubao brought dinner, Lin Yi had just finished showering. He complained inwardly about the old man being so stingy. Couldn't he buy himself a decent outfit?

He'd probably still be considered dirty clothes even if he wore these. But Lin Yi opened the bag Fubao gave him and found only the uniform from First High School. He put it on.

Lin Yi's new image stunned both Chu Mengyao and Chen Yushu! Before, he looked dirty and unkempt, wearing a torn vest and baggy pants. Now, after a shower, he seemed cultured and refined, especially in the school uniform. It was like he was a different person from before!

However, their first impression of Lin Yi was extremely poor. So, Chu Mengyao couldn't admit he was a handsome guy; she could only say he looked slightly better than before.

Fubao brought four dishes and a soup: shredded pork with garlic sauce, boiled fish slices, stir-fried bok choy, braised spinach with wood ear fungus. The soup was mushroom soup.

The dishes were a perfect balance of meat and vegetables, with delightful colors, aromas, and flavors. Lin Yi hadn't eaten such delicious food in a long time. Seeing Fubao had prepared his rice box, he happily accepted it and sat down at the table.

Lin Yi was about to start eating when Chu Mengyao objected, "What are you doing? Both Xiao Shu and I haven't eaten yet, and you're going to start? From now on, Xiao Shu and I will eat first, and if there's anything left, you can eat it!"

With that, she turned and went to the kitchen. She had a habit of using silver tableware, developed from living with her grandfather since childhood. So, there was a set of silver tableware specifically for Chu Mengyao in the kitchen's sterilizer.

Lin Yi could only smile bitterly at Chu Mengyao's dominance, retracting his chopsticks. Looking at the sumptuous dishes on the table, he could only drool. Fortunately, he had his own rice. Lin Yi quickly scooped a few mouthfuls into his mouth. Perhaps because he was eating too fast, he choked a bit and mumbled, "Is there something to drink?"

Chen Yushu found it somewhat amusing to see this man who seemed to have never eaten a meal in his life. She pointed to the large refrigerator nearby and said, "Drink? Get it yourself."

"Oh." Lin Yi turned and saw a large refrigerator, filled with various beverages. He randomly grabbed a bottle of orange juice, opened it, and took a big sip, feeling much better.

Chu Mengyao retrieved her tableware and, together with Chen Yushu, began discussing the dishes on the table.

"Wow, boiled fish! It's my favorite!"

"This shredded pork with garlic sauce is a bit too sweet. That darn chef, doesn't he know eating too much sugar makes you fat? I'll have Dad fire him tomorrow!"

"Yeah, this bok choy is really delicious. Xiao Shu, you should try it!"

Chu Mengyao chattered as she ate. These dishes were all prepared by chefs from the Chu Group, under Chu Pengzhan's company. Chu Pengzhan had many business dinners, and Chu Mengyao's mother had left home when she was very young, so Chu Mengyao didn't know why. Every time she asked her father about it, he refused to tell her.

Therefore, Chu Mengyao's life was basically taken care of by Fubao.