第6章:盾牌

In the parking lot, there were quite a few luxury cars, ranging from Mercedes-Benz and BMW to top-tier RVs. Many of them were obviously privately owned, adorned with some flashy decorations, indicating that they were bought by employees of the group.

This suggests that the employees of Pengzhan Group must have quite high incomes. So, my thirty-thousand-yuan salary doesn't seem that high after all.

Guided by Fubo, Lin Yi arrived at the side of a deep blue Bentley Elegant 728. The car was a 2006 model and well maintained. Whether it was recently purchased or regularly cared for, the car looked very new.

"Mr. Lin, please get in the car," Fubo opened the passenger door and gestured for Lin Yi to take a seat.

"I'll be sitting in the front? What about Miss?" Lin Yi hesitated for a moment and asked.

"Miss sits in the back seat every day," Fubo said. "She has her school bag, so it's not convenient for her to sit in the front."

Lin Yi nodded and got into the car. Fubo drove the car slowly into the underground parking lot. As they passed the security post at the exit, several security guards immediately stood at attention, solemnly watching the car leave.

Fubo's driving skills were very proficient, but it was evident that his style was conservative, different from what Lin Yi had learned. Lin Yi leaned more towards racing. As his grandfather used to say, if you can't win, it's not your fault, but if you can't run away, then you deserve it.

So, Lin Yi had learned quite a bit about escaping, although he had only used these skills on his grandfather. In front of others, it was always someone else who ran.

"Mr. Lin, can you drive?" While waiting at a traffic light, Fubo glanced at Lin Yi sitting quietly beside him and asked.

Fubo was an experienced driver and could accurately judge whether someone could drive or not from certain details. Since Lin Yi didn't show any special reaction, Fubo decided to ask.

"I can drive a little," Lin Yi thought, as a newcomer, it's better to be modest.

"Do you have a driver's license?" Fubo didn't ask to what extent Lin Yi could drive, knowing that the boss trusted him.

"Not yet," Lin Yi shook his head. Although he could drive, and had even raced abroad, he didn't have a driver's license. "I just turned eighteen and haven't had time to get one."

"Alright, give me your ID card, and I'll help you get a driver's license. That way, if Mr. Chu and I have something urgent, you can drive Miss to and from school," Fubo said.

The car stopped near a luxurious-looking school, but didn't approach it. It was probably because the car was too eye-catching and would create a bad impression on other students.

From the information, Lin Yi had learned that although Songshan First High School was a private school, it wasn't the kind of elite school one might imagine. It was a provincial key high school that admitted students based on province-wide exams. While some children of the privileged class entered through connections, most students were admitted based on their own abilities.

With the support of the three major groups, Songshan First High School surpassed other schools in terms of both hardware and software, as well as teaching staff. This was also the reason why its college entrance rate had been one hundred percent for several years.

Actually, Lin Yi also understood that this one hundred percent figure definitely had some padding. Some spoiled kids didn't study at all, yet still went to college. It was all because of their family's influence.

The familiar bell ringing signifying the end of classes made Lin Yi feel a bit absent-minded. How many years had it been since he last heard that sound? However, after a brief moment of distraction, Lin Yi returned to normal and looked calmly at the school playground.

Before long, students began to emerge from the teaching building one after another, some in school uniforms and others in casual clothes. Generally, unless there was a major event, the school didn't have any special requirements regarding student attire.

"That's Miss over there," Fubo suddenly raised his hand and pointed to a girl among the group of boys and girls walking towards the car.

Lin Yi followed Fubo's gesture and saw a tall and beautiful girl. Although there were other girls around her, Lin Yi guessed that she must be the young miss.

Because his grandfather had mentioned it before, Chu Mengyao was the school's flower, the most beautiful one. Unless Lin Yi's aesthetic sense was flawed.

Although the appearance of another girl next to her was also outstanding, her figure was petite, obviously not matching the height mentioned in the information. However, she was also a potential candidate for the school's flower, destined to cause trouble in the future.

Chu Mengyao and the other girl were walking briskly towards the car, but several young men who looked like rich kids were chasing after them.

"Mengyao, wait..." One of the young men blocked Chu Mengyao's path. "Mengyao, I really like you, just give me a chance!"

Chu Mengyao frowned and glanced impatiently at the boy in front of her. "Zhong Pinliang, are you annoying? I've told you before, I don't like you, so stop bothering me."

"But..." Zhong Pinliang wanted to say something else, but Chu Mengyao pushed him aside and walked away.

Chu Mengyao quickly approached the car, opened the door, and got in, while the other girl also got in. This surprised Lin Yi slightly.

"That Zhong Pinliang is really annoying, pestering me every day. Doesn't he get tired?" Chu Mengyao complained as she got into the car, then looked up and saw Lin Yi sitting in the front passenger seat, suddenly surprised. "Who are you?"

"Hello, I'm Lin Yi," Lin Yi tried to make himself look cute. This young miss's temper doesn't seem to be very good.

"Lin Yi? Fubo, what does he do?" Chu Mengyao looked at Lin Yi inexplicably.

"Miss Chu, Mr. Chu asked him to accompany you..." Fubo introduced.

"Accompany? Who needs an escort? Didn't I say I wanted a shield? Look at him, who can he shield me from?" Chu Mengyao suddenly became anxious, glanced up and down at Lin Yi. What's with this guy's outfit? A big vest and torn pants, like a migrant worker entering the city. Even a migrant worker wouldn't dress as shabby as him. Does he think this is some sort of comedy show?

Fubo broke into a cold sweat, wiping his forehead with a sense of helplessness as he glanced at Lin Yi. Seeing that Lin Yi didn't react much, he finally breathed a sigh of relief. As one of Chu Pengzhan's closest confidants, Fubo understood some of the inside story. He knew how much effort it took to bring Lin Yi on board, even to the extent of Chu's own intervention.