第20章 校长的小伎俩

This had been a question on Lin Yi's mind since yesterday. Why would Chu Pengzhan hire him as a study companion for his daughter instead of hiring a high-level tutor to guide Chu Mengyao's studies?

Moreover, for someone like Chu Mengyao, her academic performance wasn't that crucial anymore. Regardless of how well she did, she would still go to university. Even if she didn't pass the exams, with Chu Pengzhan's connections, she could easily enter those top-notch universities.

"You've noticed too?" Fubu didn't expect Lin Yi to figure out these issues so quickly, asking in astonishment.

"Is it really like that?" Lin Yi asked.

"To be honest, I don't understand Mr. Chu's intentions," Fubu sighed, saying, "Although I am Mr. Chu's closest confidant, there are some deeper meanings behind Mr. Chu's decisions that I cannot comprehend."

Lin Yi rolled his eyes at Fubu's uninformative explanation.

"But Mr. Chu instructed me to tell you, take care of Miss, and don't overthink it," Fubu reiterated what Chu Pengzhan had said before leaving: "Give her as much love as possible... this child has been lacking love since childhood..."

Lin Yi was speechless. What was going on with this family? Lacking love? Could he provide her with love? What a joke! Yesterday, Lin Yi was quite repulsed by Chu Pengzhan's seemingly matchmaking behavior, but later, after seeing the youthful and beautiful Chu Mengyao, he realized that this task wasn't so bad after all... However, could Chu Mengyao even look at him? She seemed to detest him to the core!

But Lin Yi didn't say much to Fubu. He just nodded and got off the car.

"Did you find out who that laborer was who kicked me yesterday?" Zhong Pinliang rubbed his still swollen butt, frowning. This person had made him unable to lie down and sleep comfortably the whole night.

"No, last night, Zhang Naipao and I went to several construction sites, but we didn't see that person!" Gao Xiaofu shook his head, saying, "Brother Liang, maybe he hasn't started working at the construction site yet?"

"Anyway, we must find this person. Damn it, he dared to kick me, I won't let him off!" Zhong Pinliang said fiercely.

"Yes, Brother Liang!" Gao Xiaofu hastily assured.

Lin Yi entered the school with his backpack, feeling the beauty of this moment. This was the campus life, the legendary birthplace of first love.

Lin Yi's backpack was the one issued by the school, a single-shoulder black bag, quite outdated. Most students had replaced theirs with their own stylish bags, like Chu Mengyao and Chen Yushu, while only relatively poor students dressed like Lin Yi. Wearing the school uniform and carrying the school's free-issued backpack.

Lin Yi's eyes were sharp. He had just entered the school gate and already spotted Zhong Pinliang and his group. Wasn't this the guy who bothered Chu Mengyao yesterday? But he didn't provoke him, and Lin Yi wasn't interested in dealing with him, so he walked past them.

"Brother Liang, why does that kid look so familiar?" Zhang Naipao looked at Lin Yi's back and said.

"We're discussing important matters here, why do you care if he looks familiar or not?" Zhong Pinliang scowled.

"Brother Liang, I also feel like I've seen him before... it seems, it seems..." Gao Xiaofu rubbed his head, trying to recall.

"What seems? Can you just cut the crap?" Zhong Pinliang scolded.

"It seems like he's the laborer who kicked you yesterday!" Zhang Naipao suddenly shouted, "That's right, Brother Liang, it's that kid, I remembered!"

"Really?" Zhong Pinliang, upon hearing that it was the person who kicked him yesterday, suddenly became spirited. "What are you standing there for? Let's chase after him!"

"Chase!" Gao Xiaofu and Zhang Naipao immediately rushed in the direction where Lin Yi had disappeared.

Carrying his file, Lin Yi went to the school's office, all arranged by Chu Pengzhan. He just needed to report.

Lin Yi knocked on the office door, but no one came to open it. He checked his watch; it was now 7:45 AM. School officially started at 8:00 AM, so maybe he was a bit early.

Thinking this, Lin Yi leaned against the office door and waited quietly for the director to arrive.

"Ah... mmm..." A faint moan reached Lin Yi's ears. Since practicing the Xuan Yuan Sword Art, Lin Yi's hearing had become exceptionally sensitive. While it wasn't superhuman, he could hear many things that others couldn't.

Lin Yi furrowed his brows slightly. The sound seemed to be coming from inside the office. But weren't there supposed to be no one inside? However, Lin Yi soon understood something, smiling faintly.

At exactly 8:00 AM, the office door opened. A woman in her thirties cautiously peered out from the office, and upon seeing Lin Yi at the door, she was startled. "What... what are you doing here?"

Lin Yi found it amusing. If she wanted to have an affair, she should just do it openly instead of being so obvious and making people suspicious.

"I'm here to see Director Wang from the office," Lin Yi said casually.

"Oh, Director Wang is inside," the woman tried to maintain her composure and then said to Lin Yi, "You can go in."

Lin Yi nodded and entered the office. A middle-aged man with a somewhat balding head was sitting at the desk, looking like a stern old scholar, which amused Lin Yi.

"What... what do you want?" Wang Zhifeng didn't expect a student to come looking for him just after his lover left, and was taken aback.

"I'm Lin Yi, here to report," Lin Yi handed his file to Wang Zhifeng.

"Oh, you're Lin Yi, I know," Wang Zhifeng nodded. This student was personally arranged by the board of directors; how could he forget? Wang Zhifeng took Lin Yi's file and began processing his paperwork.

Soon, after finishing the formalities, Wang Zhifeng stood up and said, "Let me take you to your class."

"Thank you, Director Wang," Lin Yi said politely. Lin Yi knew that the head of the school office wielded significant power in the school, and if he wanted a more comfortable life in the future, he couldn't afford to offend this person.

"Hehe, it's my duty," Wang Zhifeng said, not daring to be too casual. After all, this student was arranged by the board of directors. Walking alongside Lin Yi, they left the office together, and Wang Zhifeng tentatively asked, "You just arrived?"

"I've been here for a while," Lin Yi felt no need to lie about such matters; there were surveillance cameras in the school corridors, and if Wang Zhifeng wanted to check, he could do so directly.

"

"Well, uh..." Wang Zhifeng hesitated, not sure how to phrase his thoughts. He blamed himself for acting impulsively, engaging in that affair early in the morning. Now, it could backfire if someone caught wind of it.

"Don't worry, Director Wang, I didn't see or hear anything," Lin Yi said with a mischievous grin, his mind working quickly.