Mera Yaar Hai Rabb Warga

Calcutta, 1931

A young man running down an alley with a kite in his hand followed by few children. Dodging hawkers and passersby, the boys's giggles and laughs light up the gully as he continues running barefoot. His boyish grin and his beautiful eyes crinkle as he tries to save the kite from the children.

From a window, a woman calls out to him, "Ishu, jaldi upar aa!" (Ishu come up quick)

The boy responds back "aaya Meera!!" (coming Meera!!) . He hands the kite to a small girl, "yeh lo Leela, kabhi aur khelenge, thik hai." (Take it Leela, we will play later, ok)

He rushes into the house, running past the servants.

Ishan: kya hua Meera didi? Itni jaldi kis baat ke liye bulaaya. (What happened Meera didi? Why did you call me in a hurry?)

Meera: Tere liye khabar hai. (I have news for you)

Ishan: kaisi khabar? (what news?)

Meera(smirks): itni aasani se kaise bata doon. (why do I tell you so easily?)

Ishan (makes sad pout): Arre didi..jaao mat batao (Arre didi..leave it don't tell me)

Meera: Accha baba batati hoon. (Ok I will tell you)

Meera whispers in Ishan's ear, "Woh aane waala hai kal vaapis." (He is returning tomorrow)

Ishan: Kaun? (who?)

Meera starts walking with her back turned around saying animatedly, "Wahi jiske liye tu itni mannatein manaata hai. Wahi jiska diya ek gulaab tu aaj bhi kisiko choone nahi deta. Wahi jiska naam sunte hii tera chehra laal pad jaata hai." (He,who you always remember in your prayers. He, who gave you one rose, and you don't let anyone touch that rose. He, whose name is enough turn your face red.)

As Meera turns around to tease Ishan some more but she found nobody behind her. She walks to the window and sees Ishan running towards his house.

Siya facepalms and huffs, "yeh ladka bhi naa!" (This boy)

Ishan runs without any halt straight to his house and runs past her mother, ignoring her call.

Suchitra calls for Ishan to listen but Ishan just shouts, "baad mein Maa!" (later, Maa!) while rushing up the stairs.

Ishan runs straight to his room and goes to his dresser to take out his most precious possessions the 3 letters written by Shubman from London and the dried rose which he kept away from everyone. And the last letter which Shubman left at his window sill.

Ishan retraces the writing in the letters with his finger with tears in his eyes and a smile on his face. He whispers to no one, "Mujhe pata tha tum aaoge vaapis mere paas. Woh Meera aur Mayank hi baawle hain..kehte the tum nahi aaoge. Bohot intezaar karaaya tumne. Har raat chaand ko dekhkar bas tumhe pukaarta hoon aur Suraj ke saath bhi sirf tumhe le aane ki guzaarish karta hoon. Aur tum ho ki" ( I knew you will come back to me. That Meera and Mayank are crazy....say you won't return. You made me wait for too long. Every night, I called for you watching the moon and pray for your homecoming with the rise of Sun.)

Mayank says from behind, " woh chitthiyan aur gulaab bolti nahi hain!" (Those letters and roses don't speak!)

Ishan: Kitne baar kaha Mayank? darwaza khatkhataya karo. (How many times have I told you, Mayank? Knock the door.)

Mayank: Haan haan ab toh main darwaza hi khatkhataunga. Tumhare piya jo ghar aa rhe hain. (Yea yea now I will have to knock. Your beloved is coming back afterall.)