Chapter 2: The Masked Duke and the Rebel Heiress

With a bang.

"Why can't you dress properly? I told you to at least wear your clothes right, now that the Duke's carriage is arriving."

The door to the dressing room opened, and the nursemaid returned with an irritable voice.

'I'm not someone you should be ordering around like this.'

The deceased duchess's daughter, the young lady whom the nursemaid should be protecting.

Yet, I was grateful for her poor treatment. Her annoyance and neglect brought me back to reality.

If she hadn't cut me off appropriately, I would have been lost in admiration for a long time.

'If that squawking woman hadn't thrown herself to stop me from hitting my head against the wall, my soul might have left Annette's body.'

My cold gaze swept over the nursemaid.

Did she know? Right after I possessed this body, when I couldn't adapt and tried to escape, that it was her last chance in her life to let that happen?

'It's hard for people to pass by without knowing, isn't it?'

With that gratitude, I smiled faintly. And gestured gently to the nursemaid.

Today was an important day when the original male protagonist was arriving at the Porshe Duke's house. For me, and for the original story. But...

"Are you telling me to wear this now?"

"What?"

"Get it out of here. Right now."

Thump. The cotton undergarment was pushed far to the end of the table. It was the clothing the nursemaid had just handed to me.

"What are you doing? Where did you learn such rudeness!"

The nursemaid flared up.

"Rudeness?"

I lifted the corners of my lips.

How dare, who's teaching whom manners.

In romance novels, it's all about the battle of wills.

"You want me to wear such a thing in front of the Duke? This rag?"

"Rag?"

"Where's my muslin undergarment? It would go well with the dress my stepmother sent. I should at least wear that to go out."

The Duchess of Porshe had given Annette a special new dress today, to maintain appearances in front of the Duke.

Muslin, shiny satin, petticoats to puff up the skirt. No matter how much she was despised, she was the eldest daughter of a duke. The wardrobe should have been prepared with such clothes, not this cotton undergarment suitable for commoners.

"Nursemaid, did you lose that dress? The new one I haven't even tried on yet?"

The nursemaid swallowed hard. For the first time, a look of trouble appeared on her face that had been blatantly ignoring me. It was unmistakably a face of anxiety.

"Oh my."

I deliberately showed a surprised expression.

"How did you lose it, nursemaid?"

"Lose it? Miss, old clothes are better. The dress is new, and if the undergarments are new too, wouldn't they chafe your skin?"

'Obviously, she sold it. Knowing Annette couldn't do anything about it.'

"Then show me. Bring it to me right now. Why are you standing there so foolishly? Didn't you hear me, nursemaid?"

"That, that's not it! There's no time now! It's somewhere in the wardrobe. So, you should have said something earlier. You need to go for dinner now!"