Chapter 14

They say the first night of marriage opens up a new world, twinkling with stars before your eyes.

The first night with the male protagonist is the highlight of a romance novel.

In every novel I read, there was always a description of how strong and warm the male protagonist's arms were as he embraced his beloved bride.

Just like the man beside me now, radiating a warm heat.

With crow-like black hair and deep, dark eyes, he was undeniably handsome.

And that man was now in bed with me. I was trying my hardest not to acknowledge this fact.

'Calm down, Anette! Nothing should happen here! Evangeline must be watching over me with an axe from beyond the Sanzu River!'

Whizz, whoosh. It seemed like I could hear Evangeline's non-existent axe sounds.

Spit, as if spitting into my hand... Ah, I'll stop imagining more! I am a protagonist of a romance novel, after all!

Surely, tampering with the protagonist's man in a novel meant death for an extra.

Just sneak a quick one before the actual protagonist shows up, and then put everything back in place?

Those who laid a hand on the protagonist always ended up complicating their lives.

'So, I should just be Darius's wife in name, having had the wedding and a nominal first night, but in reality, just friends who sleep together.'

Easy, right?

'Maybe it's quicker to find the original novel somewhere in the real world and tear it up with my own hands. That might open up a new escape route for me.'

"......Is there anything uncomfortable?"

"Huh?"

What did he just say? I'm so tense right now that I can't really hear anything.

"Is there anything you found different than expected now that you're here? If there's anything you want, I'll make sure to take care of it."

"Huh?"

"Anette."

As he called my name, I immediately put distance between us on the bed and clutched the blanket.

It was a reflex.

No sacred axe chops from Evangeline!

"I, I, I think I'm not mentally ready yet? Actually, I made a special vow at the temple, and that means...!"

"I was just about to say that we should just sleep tonight. Aren't you tired after all that moving around?"

My train of thought about what kind of vow to make at the temple to avoid this night halted.

"If you want something tonight."

Darius said, avoiding my gaze.

"It's your right, but I'd like to have my consent as well."

Wait, that's what I wanted to say! Can we rewind time a bit?

Why are you the one refusing? Why are you acting unwilling? I didn't want it either! I was going to refuse too!

As if I'm the one who's initiating!

Darius thought Anette might be disappointed.

When two people marry, the consummation of the marriage on the first night is a duty of the spouses.

Anette had a spirited personality. Although they hadn't known each other long, she probably thought it best to get it over with quickly.

"Are you really not going to touch me?"