Chapter 10

"It doesn't matter how dangerous the beast is or isn't. Suddenly a monster appears, and Your Grace pulls out a sword, and then blood splatters everywhere..."

"Annette, you're shaking."

Darius placed his hand on my trembling shoulder. Unbeknownst to me, my body was shivering. Seeing a monstrous creature for the first time was terrifying.

"Were you scared? I'm sorry."

He tilted his head to meet my eyes. His dark pupils reflected Annette. Now a familiar sight to me.

"It's over now. You're safe."

That's not the point!

I meant to protest, but strangely, my head wouldn't lift, and I only managed a faint groan.

What's happening? Really.

He hesitated and then awkwardly hugged me. It was so awkward that it was barely a hug.

The arms of the man who had just taken a life were surprisingly warm.

"I'm better at surprising people than comforting them. I wish it ended there."

Typical of the main character, dealing with monsters and paperwork until meeting the heroine.

Even without experience, they can offer perfect consolation in front of the heroine, but until then, kindness isn't part of their skill set.

"I didn't ask to be comforted."

But what's this? His gentle tone as if soothing a frightened noble lady, troubled by a mere monster.

"Hm."

A small cough came from behind. Startled, I saw it was Daniel and the coachman.

"Ah..."

Their faces, somewhat pleased, seemed apologetic for interrupting a good moment.

"We must leave now, or we won't reach the castle today."

"Ah, let's go! Quickly!"

My face flushed immensely in an instant.

"I'm really sorry for disturbing your time."

What's there to be sorry for? I was just worried about the reckless Duke.

Without responding to Daniel's words, I returned to the carriage and awkwardly turned away.

'I couldn't move an inch when the beast attacked.'

My heart still hurt. Was it because I was upset?

'Will I just die without a sound if I ever meet an assassin?'

Like Annette in the original.

Laughing and chatting with the main character doesn't solve everything. Going to the Inkheart Castle could bring me closer to death.

'Who knows when the assassination flag from the original story will pop up?'

So, I should think of ways to ensure my safety... As I was calming down, sleepiness overcame me, and I drifted off.

I dreamt.

As I spoke, the air of the battlefield changed dramatically. The space, filled with evil magic, was swept by a clear wind. The small breeze grew, confusing the beasts.

As I changed the air of the battlefield, people behind me moved swiftly.

A person with silver blades and black pupils met my eyes.

He seemed to say something, but...

"Annette."

"Hmm..."