Chapter 7

"I am narrow-minded. Do I seem to have a reason to be loyal to this family?"

The Duke looked at me with bloodshot eyes. He observed my old room, a space without any decent decoration, and the woman in it, her eyes alight with vengeance.

Every time his eyes wavered, a thrilling emotion surged in my heart.

Yes, maybe, just maybe. Could this woman be different from the other people of the Duke's family?

Think about that possibility. Fall for it, Darius.

As always, like the kind-hearted male protagonist who never gives up on humanity. Show me the ideal image.

"You are......."

"Annette Porshe was a meaningless person in the Porshe family."

I said it sharply.

"But now I have a new chance to live, and I intend not to miss it."

Naturally, by this opportunity, I meant the life as the wife of the Duke Inkheart.

"I will dedicate everything I have to live this new life. For Inkheart. So I would like one thing from the Duke. Your favor towards me."

If I'm not left abandoned in a remote castle to die, like in the original work, then I have a new chance to live.

"If you wish, you can divorce me after a few years of marriage. I am willing to do anything to get away from the detestable Porshe family and start a new life."

I couldn't miss the chance to appeal that I wouldn't be a hindrance to the future heroine, in case of any unforeseen situations.

I approached him with a candle. In the dark night, only the small flame quietly watched over us.

"So, why don't you trust me once?"

I was shorter than him. I stood below his chin.

Clang, thud, thud.

The sound of metal hitting the floor echoed heavily. The male protagonist, Darius, finally removed that wretched silver mask.

"Nice to meet you, Your Grace."

Black hair, likewise black eyes. Handsome features one couldn't easily forget.

His usually cold black eyes found their warmth as they looked at me, as if inviting me into the line he had drawn.

Annette Porshe in the original work had never seen this face in her lifetime.

My heart pounded. Because he was too handsome? No.

"With just this moment, I will not regret becoming your wife, Your Grace."

Finally, changing the original story. Even if it's a small piece, the original story starts to change.

Unlike Annette in the original, who never saw the Duke's face, I have seen his real face.

"And I promise. You will not regret marrying me, Your Grace."

I will be a good extra wife. After helping the male protagonist prosper the North and cleanly parting ways when the heroine appears, I will gather a fortune for my new life. It starts right now.

I was determined not to even show my face to the Porshe family women. This marriage was a political one. The South was supposed to get the honor of marrying into the Duke's family, the North the needed supplies, a transaction devoid of emotions.

Despite the overt hostility shown at our first meal together, Annette Porshe approached him without hesitation and proposed a deal.

Darius incredulously looked at the silver mask he had removed himself.