Chapter 5

〈Do you think you're something special because you're marrying into the Duke's family? Going to the difficult North that can't even survive the winter without our help!〉

〈Apologize.〉

〈Insulting me is a family matter. But you insulted the North where I'm going to be married. I can forgive anything else, but not that.〉

Annette's voice echoed in my mind. The voice of the eldest daughter of the Forshee family.

Did she request a meeting this evening just to show me her fight with her sister? Yet, Annette's voice then seemed genuinely filled with anger.

'Why?'

Did she truly think of the North as her future territory as she said?

Impossible. We haven't known each other long enough to develop a bond, let alone for her to have affection for the North, a place she never set foot in before.

'Is she exceptionally bold, or an excellent actress?'

If it's the former, the Duke has nurtured a formidable woman; if the latter, she could have been a great con artist.

"You worked hard."

Daniel approached and attended to him. Darius removed his mask. Finally, the young Duke's face, hidden behind the silver mask, was revealed.

His face, framed by crow-like black hair, shone pale in the moonlight.

Caitlin, who had mocked Annette for marrying into the North, would change her mind and die of envy if she saw him. Annette wasn't marrying a gloomy Duke of the North but a handsome one.

"What do you think of the South on your first visit?"

"Everyone here is just a peace-addled fool."

To Sir Daniel's question, the young Duke coldly replied.

Excessive luxury in food, a careless attitude never considering the possibility of war.

"If a northern snowstorm ever hits here, I wonder how many of these fools would survive."

"The South can live without any preparation. It's different from our North in every way."

In their North, those who do not prepare for winter do not survive.

"But there seems to be at least one person in the South who does think."

Annette Forshee.

She was different from the other peace-drunk fools of the South. She clearly knew who she was marrying and where she would live.

She seemed to already be preparing for the cold of the North, armoring her heart.

"A girl pushed around by her stepmother's children, living quietly?"

The Duke scoffed.

That's hardly a description of a woman who can't even speak up for herself.

"I'm sorry. There seems to have been a confusion in the report."

Daniel looked awkward.

While apologizing, Daniel couldn't hide the smile rising from within.

"Miss Annette seems like a good person. I'm relieved."

Daniel had repeatedly advised caution before arriving at the Forshee house, not knowing what schemes they might be plotting. Seeing him already relent made Darius uneasy.

"So, you've also lost your guard, Daniel. Tasted the peace of the South and already let your guard down?"

Annette's bold confrontation with Caitlin earlier was impressive, but that was it.