Chapter 8

"His Grace, the Duke has arrived."

"Your Grace."

I turned away from Kaitlyn and greeted my fiancé, now my husband, with a bright smile.

"It's time to leave, Annette. It might be difficult to come back here. Have you left anything behind?"

His voice, once rough, now expressed concern in a low and graceful tone. Despite the formal manner, it was filled with worry.

"Since Your Grace has mentioned it, I should check once more."

I glanced at Kaitlyn. She looked resentful and angry, her fists clenched and trembling.

'The Duke Inkheart was never said to be so handsome!' She seemed to say.

The expression on the faces of the Porshe family when Darius first attended breakfast without his silver mask.

The Duke's mouth was agape, and my younger brother made a bizarre face. The Duchess and Kaitlyn were so flushed and speechless.

〈Who are you?〉

〈Darius Inkheart.〉

Kaitlyn's expression when she realized the young, handsome man, previously ignored, was her step-sister's fiancé. Just recalling that expression could wake me from sleep. It was too delightful.

I called a maid to check my belongings one last time. I had little to take: a few new dresses, Annette's diary, jewels I got from Kaitlyn...

"Uh?"

My hand, rifling through the red rubies and sparkling diamond rings, quickened.

My face turned cold as I examined the jewelry box.

"My mother's heirloom is missing!"

A maid suddenly screamed in shock.

"Miss Annette's necklace is gone!"

Hot tears streamed down my cheeks. Overwhelmed with grief, I shouted.

"How could they! My deceased mother's heirloom!"

Panic ensued in the mansion. On the day the eldest daughter was to marry, the heirloom of the late Duchess was stolen. The wedding ceremony was immediately halted.

The mansion was in turmoil. After a thorough search, the culprit was caught.

It was the nanny.

"Nanny, how could you do this to me?"

I cried out, furiously and heartbroken. Anyone would think my mother had passed away again.

"What are you talking about?"

The nanny, dragged out by the servants, looked terrified. She had been absent while I was leaving. On the day I was leaving, the nanny was also packing her bags.

〈With Miss Annette gone, I too should leave the mansion.〉

It seemed a plausible reason.

"Do you have nothing to say after seeing this necklace?"

I held up a blue sapphire necklace before the nanny, filled with indignation.

"That's!"

The nanny's eyes widened, her arms held by the servants.

"You stole my mother's necklace!"

"What are you saying? You gave it to me, Miss Annette!"

"I gave you the necklace?"

I shook my head in disbelief.

Caught. I barely restrained a smile, pretending to cry.

"Why would I give my mother's heirloom to you? Was I that easygoing? To steal valuables and use me as an excuse?"