8.

I was stuck on a math problem when my phone started ringing scaring me enough for the pen I was holding to go flying out of my hand. I glanced at the phone next to the notebook on my desk to not only see Jake's name across the top of the screen but to see that it was a FaceTime request.

I blinked and stared at it before realizing I was wasting time and snatching the phone up and accepting the call. And then my brain caught up with me and I realized I looked like absolute crap.

I was still in my pajamas and my hair was in a bun that I could feel falling sideways down my head.

"Hey. What are you up to?" Jake looked as handsome as always.

"Uh, I'm in the middle of math class." I told him. I propped my phone up against a pencil holder on my desk and used the camera to try and fix my bun.

"Oh shit. I forgot you're still in school. I didn't mean to interrupt." He frowned.

"It's okay. I get to work at my own pace really." I told him picking up my pen again. "Any chance you're good at pre-calc?"

"Absolutely not." He laughed. I giggled.

"What are you doing?" I questioned.

"I've got a car here that's probably going to take me all day. I was going to ask if you wanted to keep me company?"

"Oh! Uh..."

"You don't have to if you don't want to. Just thought I'd offer."

"Uh, I mean yeah? I need to finish this math class though. It's my worst subject. And then get ready since I'm still in my pajamas." I told him.

"Well I'll be here all day so no rush." He smiled. "And you can wear your pj's. I'm in a shirt that has so many grease stains on it, it should have been in the trash a year ago."

"Wear a smock and protect your clothes." I told him and he laughed.

"Somehow I don't think that will help." He smiled. "Anyways, I'll let you finish your class."

"Okay, I'll see you soon!"

As if I'd be able to focus on math now.

About a hour and a half and one mini panic attack over what to wear later, I was pulling into the same spot from all those weeks ago. I grabbed my reusable water bottle and made sure I had my phone in my pocket before climbing out.

"Hi, Nat." Jake walked towards me with a dirty towel. "I'd give you a hug but I'm disgusting."

"Smock." I wiggled a finger in his face.

"I'll keep it in mind." He chuckled. "How was the rest of your class?" I followed him to what I assume is his garage.

"Terrible! My notebook has more doodles in it than it does numbers."

"Your doodles are pretty cute." I shouldn't be blushing at something so silly. Jake has seen a plethora of doodles and arts projects thanks to Snapchat.

"My math grade says otherwise." I argued.

"At least you get to do it online and at your own speed." He threw the towel on a work bench. I noticed a car with the hood open and a lot of very greasy looking parts laying in order on a tarp on the ground.

"It's like a really crappy version of homeschooling. I'm pretty sure I'm not actually learning anything. Can I sit here?" I pointed to a little stool that was on wheels.

"Of course." There was a radio softly playing what sounded like divorced dad rock. "How come you didn't switch to the high school here?" He went back to whatever it was he was doing.