13.

"Oh mademoiselle..." A haunting chuckle followed.

I turned around and nobody was there.

I turned in a circle and couldn't find anything.

Nothing was there. It was all black.

"Mon chère...over here!"

All I could hear was laughter. I didn't like this. Why was I alone? Where was everyone? I glanced over my shoulder when I saw a movement.

"Je suis là!" Red eyes flew in my face.

I gasp and couldn't get air. Where was I?

"Natasha!"

I screamed as loud as I could and threw myself backwards.

"Nat! It's me. It's me! You're safe!"

My arm was screaming at me and I couldn't gather a breath. He was there. He was in the room with me.

"Natasha!" Someone yelled and I looked around.

Jake was in front of me with his arms out, looking panicked.

Jake.

Jake was a safe space. I knew Jake.

"Red eyes." I gasp.

He says something but I don't catch it. I look down and see pink fuzz.

"He had red eyes. He—" I try to take a deep breath but air isn't coming the way I want. I lean forward and grasp the blanket. "He came out of nowhere. And he said...I don't know. Something about a dog. He—its eyes were red."

"I know, sweetheart. I know."

"And...and the door shattered and something broke it and...and...and...."

"I know."

I tried to blink but everything was still blurry. I rubbed my eye and my hand came back wet. I went to go climb out of the bed but the second I put one of my hands down I couldn't support myself and almost fell forward.

Warm hands reached out and grabbed me. I wanted to melt into the heat.

"Natasha. Hey." I glanced up and saw Jake holding me and staring into my eyes. "Hey, I know you're confused. I'm right here. I'll answer everything. I'll tell you everything that happened. I'm right here and you're safe."

"Where am I?" I collapse into him.

"My room. You were in shock after everything. I brought you here. Be careful. I think you might have broken your wrist." He rubs up and down my back.

Now that he mentioned it, I could feel one of my arms throbbing.

"What happened?" I asked into his shoulder.

"Do you remember any of the legends?" He kept rubbing my back.

"Uh, not really. Jer used to tell me that Dask'iya would get me if I wondered too far away from him at the grocery store."

Jake chuckled. "That's a good way to keep children in line, I suppose."

"By telling them they'll get eaten?" I mumble.

"Do you know what we are descendants of?" He asked.

"Wolves. That's an easy one. It's in the name."

"What if I told you they are more than just legends?" He stopped rubbing my back and leaned back a little bit forcing me to balance myself.

"Okay? And?" I blink at him.