18.

"My sweet little pet, you just can't get enough? Can you?" His accented voice made me want to scream. I didn't look up from my hands from where I sat on the ground amongst the leaves.

I tried to take deep breaths and stop the tears from coming but it was no use.

"I'm talking, petite fille."

I said nothing and stared at the very realistic looking ground.

"This is very rude. First your dogs try to chase me all over and now you ignore me. My feelings are hurt." He didn't sound hurt. "But I must say, your little pets are very territorial. What is it about you that's got them so up in arms, hmm?" I could hear him walking closer but I still refused to look up.

"Could it be you're mated to one of them, hmm?" I could see his shoes as he stood right in front of me. I closed my eyes and tried to focus on how none of this was real. It was quiet for a brief moment.

"Answer me!" He grabbed my chin so hard and yanked my face up. I could feel the pain from his fingers squeezing my face.

"No." I mumbled, feeling my eyes starting to sting with tears.

"No?" He dropped his hand and I immediately dropped my head. "Well that can't be true."

"I don't know what you're talking about." I mumbled.

"They are protecting you." He sneered.

"The land?" I mumble while squeezing my eye shut.

"What?" He demands.

"The land. They protect the land." I say a little firmer, something in me fueled by talking about Jake and his pack.

Nothing was said for a few moments. I thought about glancing up at him but didn't want to see his face any more than needed.

"That's not true. The large one stares at me with the promise of death. Too bad he can't catch me though." He snickers.

This thing has officially ruined the French language and accent for me.

"I want you to deliver a little message to your pet puppy." The way he said puppy made me want to snort.

"Listen to me you little brat!" He grabbed my hair and yanked and I could swear my scalp was about to come off. "You tell your mongrels that they need to try harder than that. And that I will be back. And I will figure out what makes you so special."

He pulled up harder on my hair causing me to scream.

"Babe! Babe! I'm right here."

My hands flew up to the top of my head where I could still feel phantom pains on my scalp.

"Hey, Natasha." Something warm grabbed my arm and I blinked finding myself staring at Jake. "I'm right here." He spoke softly.

"W-what?" I mumble trying to center myself.

"You had another nightmare." His voice was so quiet. "This is getting rough. You need some normal sleep. Maybe you should take something so you'll skip the dreaming part."

I blinked at him and could feel my eyes slightly burning. The pain on the top of my head was also fading out.

"My head hurts." I don't know why I told him but it made me feel better to rub the top of my scalp. Like I was telling myself that monster wasn't actually here and didn't have a hold of my hair.

" I'm sure your headache is from a lack of sleep." He sighed and ran a hand through his hair.

"It's not a headache. He grabbed my hair." I couldn't stop the stinging in my eyes of tears. I could really go for a hug right about now.