𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟖

ELENA

It's been ten days since the charity event, and there are eight more to go before he returns. The days have been long and quiet, filled with mundane tasks and lonely nights. To pass the time, I've been sorting through old things, and today, I stumbled upon my journal from when I was fourteen.

Flipping through the pages, I find the musings of a younger me—innocent thoughts, dreams, and sketches. As I skim through, one entry catches my eye. It's written in my old, loopy handwriting:

Name: Sanchez Lair. Location: 1527 East Briarwood Lane, Plot No. 45, Chicago, IL 60614. Info: Not yet made, but Dad says one day.

I pause, reading it over a few times. The name Sanchez Lair triggers a distant memory. My dad and brothers used to mention it often, usually in hushed tones or during late-night conversations when they thought I wasn't listening. It was always this mysterious place, something important, but never clearly explained to me. As a child, I was curious but never dared to ask too many questions, sensing it was something I wasn't supposed to know about.

As I sit here now, the curiosity flares up again. Why was it so significant? Why was it never built? And why did my dad, someone so methodical and thoughtful, have a location for something that didn't exist?

I close the journal, the gears in my mind turning. There's a pull, a strange urge to go to this place. Maybe it's because I feel disconnected from my family's past, or maybe it's just a way to break the monotony of waiting for Zade to return. Either way, I know I have to see it for myself.

I quickly change into something comfortable and grab my keys. The address is burned into my memory, and before I know it, I'm in the car, navigating through the familiar streets of Chicago. The city is bustling as always, but my mind is fixed on the mystery of Sanchez Lair.

As I get closer, the streets become more suburban, lined with trees and well-kept houses. There's a strange anticipation building inside me, a mix of excitement and a little bit of anxiety. What will I find there? Is it just an empty plot, or is there something more?

Finally, I turn onto East Briarwood Lane. The houses here are grander, more spaced out, each with a unique charm. I slow down, scanning the house numbers until I see it—Plot No. 45. I pull up to the curb and park the car, my heart beating a little faster.
As I pull up to 1527 East Briarwood Lane, my eyes widen in surprise. This isn't the empty plot or neglected land I half-expected. Instead, it's a sleek, modern building, standing tall with its glass façade reflecting the afternoon sun. The architecture is striking—clean lines, a mix of metal and stone, and large windows that give it an open, airy feel. It looks like a state-of-the-art office building, completely out of place in the residential neighborhood around it.

I step out of the car, a mix of curiosity and confusion washing over me. What is this place? How is it connected to my family? I approach the building, noting the well-kept grounds and the discreet yet elegant signage near the entrance that reads "Sanchez Lair."

My mind races with questions. If this was something my dad and brothers talked about, why wasn't I told about it? And why does it look so established, so purposeful, when my journal entry suggested it was something that "was not yet made"?

I stand there for a moment, taking in the scene. The building seems quiet, though there are signs of activity—lights on inside, a few cars in the parking lot. It doesn't feel abandoned or secretive; instead, it has an air of quiet professionalism.

As I contemplate my next move, I feel a strange connection to this place, like it holds answers to questions I didn't know I had. I decide to go inside, hoping to uncover the secrets behind Sanchez Lair and why my family kept it hidden from me all these years.