14|

She asked me the question that I've been running all while because this conversation can make her determine her answer to Maa Jaan's question about our marriage.

'Silence is good when you don't have anything beneficial to say or when your words can hurt someone.'...... Dadu said. And these words of his became my whole personality from then onward.

"Tumne mujhe dhoka diya hai."

No I didn't.

I sat there telling her how her father just wanted to get her married even if it wasn't me the groom would have been Sameer Bhai.

She was lost somewhere. I came out of the room, sitting in the dinning slab I was on my laptop as tomorrow is the last day of Boss's professor's project.

She came out with the cup. It might have became cold.

"Lao hum kar de." I took cup from her hand walked towards the microwave. She likes heat it up.

"Where are they?"

"They are sleeping."

"Our fathers did wrong to us, they tied us when you were supposed to enjoy your youth." On her words I turned toward her. Enjoy my youth? Was I supposed to make girlfriend or live like Kaifi? She thinks of me exactly similar to him.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Again, a week with Kaifi and his weird talks but this going to be the last week on this project. After meeting the professor offered us lunch. I was supposed to go there with my colleagues, when boss made me go with the professor.

"Lagta hai apni beti ke liye pasand kar liya hai tujhe." I eyed Kaifi and walked to the lavish car he had. We have dozens of these at haveli, not interested.

The car ride was silent. Soon boss's phone rang, it was from her wife, he left apologizing and instructing me to take care of the Professor. I nod.

"I must say you are quite efficient."

"Thank you, Sir. Everyone in team do their best."

"Yeah! that's noticeable. Yet your enthusiasm was next level thing." i was on my way to deny and share the credit with the team even though I was enjoying. He continued, "Are you enthusiastic only in work life or also in personal life?"

"Sorry?" I looked him. His expression was nowhere near to my understanding.

"I'm asking do you enjoy real life fun as well." He kept his hand on mine. I pulled my hand back.

"I don't think we should continue this conversation." I looked out of the window. We are clearly not on road which would lead us to restaurant. "Let's reach the restaurant soon or else...." I deliberately took a pause, "...we'll be late."

He sat straight. Soon the car stopped, and driver went out to check the engine. He pushed me to the window and hovered over me.

"You bastard. You're trying to threaten me. ME. KABIR MALHOTRA." He fiercely punched on my face. It sent a current to my body.

What happened just now? My mind tried to register. he leaned in toward my face and was just second away to do the worst, but does he think I'm a kid he will go forcibly on. I punched on his jaw twice from down. He sat back on his place.

I hurried to open the door its lock, even the driver is nowhere. I jumped on the front seat, opened the door and left before he could get stable.

Boarding a taxi I came back to office. I can't go home with this redness on my face. I was in Prayer room as this is the only place where no one will come. Same happened. I kept on thinking this man, who looked sophisticated and professional is this cheap. I slept there without realizing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

"Fakhir." I was shaken by my shoulder. I flutter open my eyes. "Ye kya hua hai?" Kaifi asked noticing my cheeks that's red now.

"Kuch nahi bas chot lag gai hai." I stood up to leave.

"Lagta hai kiska mukka galti se tumhare gaal ko chu gaya hai." I felt my feet froze at the very place. Dadu's way of asking. A lone tear escaped my eyes turning into stream.

"Oi, tu ro raha hai." He came to me. I wipped my tears and looked away.

"Nahi."

"Kis se ladai hui hai? bata na? Tera bhai abhi sabko thikane lag dega. Chal saath chalte hai." He held my hand pulling me toward the door but all I could think of that incident. I pulled my hand back.

"Chup kar jao Kaifi."

"Teri bandi se break up hua hai." I kept quiet.

Now we are at his room, sitting on his couch and I don't know where he is. I looked at the wall clock. It's five. Picking the phone I realised it's five in the morning. I slept alot today. Keeping phone aside I went to get fresh.

"Catch!" As soon as I was out of washroom, Kaifi threw something at me. My keys.

"Teri car leta aya tha kal."

"Thank you." I held the key. The skate hanging on it reminds of her.

"Itni shopping me hum tumhein yaad the."

"Main tumhe kaise bhul sakti hun."

A smile crept on my lips, which didn't go unnoticed by Mr. Kaifi.

"Kya hua tha?"

"Wo boss ke professor...." I don't know why am I even telling this to HIM. I told him everything and sat on the couch in the middle of the room. He was leaning against the cabinet which was next to the wall.

"Matlb...matlb...us Malhotra ke bacche ne." He stammered while saying low voice. He looked at my keychain for a minute then immediately turned and picked up his laptop and sat next to me.

"We will report."

"No."

"Why? For her?"

"Always." I slowly said."I think I'll shift back to Lucknow."