{Part 15}

Ominis Gaunt, POV

As the first light of dawn filtered through the window, I couldn't shake the heaviness that settled in my chest.

The intimacy shared with Ophelia the night before had been anything but mutual, her disdain for me palpable even in the darkness of our chamber.

I slept beside her, despite her anger towards me. It was surreal being beside her in our marital bed. I usually wouldn't sleep beside her but after our new found intimacy in this game we were playing I purely couldn't help myself.

I stole a glance in her direction, as she laid beside me alongside an air of cold indifference that pierced through me like a blade. Her resentment towards our arranged marriage and the power I held over her was a weight I could no longer ignore.

I reached out to touch her, but she flinched away, her eyes providing a tension in the air of anger and defiance. It was a reminder of the chasm that separated us, a divide that seemed insurmountable.

"Ophelia," I began tentatively, my voice betraying the turmoil within me, she stirred in my direction, her body turning to face me as I heard the sheets rustle beneath her. "I understand that this marriage was not of your choosing. But we are bound by duty and an unbreakable vow, and we are not making any counter-actions towards our obligation if you continue being this bratty and defiant."

She scoffed, her disdain evident in the way she turned away from me, refusing to meet my gaze.

"You speak of duty as though it justifies everything," she retorted bitterly. "But what about my happiness? What about my autonomy? You hold all the power in this union, while I am nothing more than a baby making factory, in your war."

Her words cut deeper than any blade could, each one a painful reminder of the rift between us.

"I wish things were different, Ophelia," I confessed, my voice heavy with regret as I propped myself up on my elbows, "But we must find a way to coexist, to navigate this marriage with as much dignity and respect as we can muster, I haven't been the most incredible husband." I confessed, going off topic with our conversation.

I saw her in a whole new light now, she was my wife. The girl who was kind to my throughout our fifth year at Hogwarts. She was Ophelia, my friend.

But even as I spoke the words, I knew that the gulf between us was too vast to bridge, the resentment too deeply ingrained to overcome. The game of cat and mouse we had spun was solely the beginning of our tension and chemistry.

Ophelia stood from the bed, the silk of her nightgown rustling in my ears. I smiled to myself as I pictured smugly the bite mark I inflicted on her neck last night. A small claim besides the wedding ring she wore on her finger for me.

"And where do you think you're running off too, my wife." I chuckled nonchalantly, l laid on my back with my hands behind my head, my chest was bare, all I was sporting was a pair of pyjama pants that I threw on out of respect before getting into bed with her last night.

"To get away from you Ominis, it's too early for this and your cocky behaviour is becoming extremely irritating." She said, her voice was stern but it sported a sleepy morning tone, which made me melt.

"Ophelia." I whispered sternly in her direction.

"You defy me. I am your lord. Have you forgotten?" I whispered sternly.

"My lord." She scoffed, sitting down on the bed.

"What game are we playing here?" She questioned, I felt the heat of her gaze on me. I smirked knowing she was eyeing my bare chest as I sat up confidently in her direction.