when you become friends

how did the two of you officially become friends with one another?
short answer: in the library

how it played out:
— you and cameron, who eventually ended up telling you that he prefers to be called 'cam', were studying in the library together. while there was no need to be in there, you thought that the quiet atmosphere would help him focus. a soft glow of the reading lamps casts a warm ambiance, illuminating the pages of the history textbook open before you. as you flip through the flashcards you've meticulously prepared on the roaring twenties and the great depression, you can't shake a nagging thought that's been lingering in your mind for weeks.

cameron furrows his brow as he studies the flashcards, his expression reflecting the effort he's putting into absorbing the information. he's been making some progress in his work and they're slowly rising to become passing. when you finally sense a lull in the conversation, you decide to broach the subject that's been on your mind.

"hey, cam," you begin, your voice quiet in the hushed atmosphere of the library. "can i ask you something?"

he looks up from the flashcards, curiosity flickering in his eyes. "sure, what's up?"

you hesitate for a moment, gathering your thoughts before continuing. "i was just wondering...do you think we're friends?" you questioned, feeling as if there was a weight on your chest because who in their right mind, at this age, would ask this question?

you felt like you were back in elementary school again but you tried your best to remain calm as you awaited his answer since you needed to know his side of the story.

cameron's reaction is not what you expected. get blinks in surprise, his brows lifting slightly as if he hadn't considered the question before. "huh...yeah, i guess so," he answers, his tone uncertain yet sincere. soon though, he cracks a small. "we weren't already?" he asked, rhetorically.

you shake your head, feeling a rush of relief wash over you. "i don't know, i just wanted to make sure..." you explained with a small shrug, trying to downplay the significance of your question before awkwardly scratching the back of your neck.

but cameron's gaze lingers on you, a thoughtful expression crossing his features. "well, i'm glad you asked," he says with a small smile. "and thanks for helping me out with all this stuff. i appreciate it." he added.

a warmth spreads through you at his words, and you can't help but return his smile. "of course, cam. anytime."