Sapling

"Yiran's P.O.V"

"Did you make this fried chicken?" Keisha wondered as I saw her inspecting the chicken. Oh no, do I tell her? Uh, what should I do?

"Well," How can I say this? If I tell her, then I'll get teased. I don't know, do I tell her? Both are looking at me. Keisha and Kio. Of course, Kio is smirking. I'll just answer truthfully. They're waiting for my answer anyway. But hold on. Why is she asking. Does the chicken taste bad?

"Yes, but why are you asking? Does it taste bad?" I asked, honestly worried. She quickly shook her head. Phew.

"No, it doesn't. It tastes amazing. This is probably the best fried chicken I've ever tasted. Also, I never knew you could cook," Keisha said, smiling at me. I don't know why but her compliment made me smile a little bit. Glad she didn't notice.

"Yeah, I learnt how to cook when I was 10. I learnt the skill because my parents were focusing on taking care of my younger brother at that time. So, I took initiative and learnt to take care of myself. Until this day, I make my own meals," I admitted. Wow Yiran. It seems like you're flexing on them.

"Wait, so you learnt how to take care of yourself when you were 10?"

"Yeah,"

She looks concerned. I'm worried.

"Why at such a young age?" She asked. I gulped, knowing that the answer will lead to me telling her about my problems. I looked down, contemplating if I should let her know or not. I think I can trust her. I don't know though. She seems like the only one who cares about me, she has the right to know. She basically tries to talk to me every day.

"Oh, I'm sorry. You don't have to answer if you don't feel comfortable," Keisha retreated. See? She's so understanding. I feel like I should tell her. I heard a phone ring. I was about to check but I then heard someone.

"Sorry guys, I got a call from my mum, I'll quickly answer it. Y'all keep talking though,"

It was Kio. He left and now it was just me and Keisha. It was a bit awkward for a while. I'll go with my gut and tell her. She deserves to know anyway. I think I can trust her. I took a deep breath and began speaking.

"Ever since my younger brother was born, I was ignored a lot, by my parents and my siblings. The blame would always be on me, I make my family's meals every day. Sometimes, my family would take my brothers out to the shops and forget me. As much as it hurts, I try my best to be grateful of what they provide for me. They are my family after all. I should be happy that I at least have food, water, shelter, education, etc. I want to tell my parents how I feel, but I'm scared that they'll shout at me, and I don't want that,"

She looked at me and her mouth was open. Is she, worried for me?

"I didn't know you were going through all that. It's such a shame to see such a young and kind soul experience something like that. You don't deserve it, really. It must hurt having to deal with that. If anything happens, please let me know. I want you to feel happy. You're a good person, I can tell. Even if you shout at me or yell at me, I'll still try to make you feel like you are loved. I won't give up on you. I know that one day, you'll rock up to school with the biggest smile ever. That's what I'm hoping to see. So, if there's anything wrong, feel free to let me know. I'll do my best to make sure that you are okay," she replied.

I never knew she cared for me, that much. Now this made me think, why was I so mean to her? She was the only one who wished me a happy birthday a week ago. She cares about me so much. I started to tear up because of her kind words. I struggled to speak.

"You will?" That's all I could say.

She smiled and nodded. I couldn't believe it. The person who I hated the most, turned out to be the only human being who cared about me. I regret everything I said to her before. I'll do my best to be nice to you from now on. A tear fell from my eye.