CHAPTER SIXTEEN; abomination

| y/n's pov |

I WATCHED FROM the driver's seat of my mom's car as Stiles walked over with his hands in his pockets, looking at the ground.

He jogged a little before opening the passenger door, which was a little strange considering he usually drove us around.

"Hey," I greeted and his mouth straightened into a line. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah." He sighed then looked up from his hands and at me. "We need to talk to Scott. He was right."

"About what?" I asked.

"The... thing. It's not like him." He explained. "I mean, its eyes were almost, like, reptilian."

I let go of the steering wheel, which my hands hadn't left since I parked, and turned to look at him.

"But there was something about it."

"What do you mean?"

"You know when you see, like, a friend in a Halloween mask, but all you can actually see are their eyes, and you feel like you know them, but you just can't figure out who it is?"

I paused. "Stiles, are you saying you know who this thing is?"

"No. But I think it knew me."

There was a moment of silence between the two of us.

"Okay, well, I'll take that as a cue to start driving." I said softly, starting the car engine again.

As I pulled away from the mechanic garage, I glanced at Stiles while he looked back at the crime scene out the window.

I hadn't really spoken to him since we kissed. Or, well, we had spoken, just not about that.

So I turned the radio up just a little bit and drove in silence until we reached his house.

"Thanks for the ride." He gave a bit of a half-smile as he opened the passenger side door.

"No problem." I responded with a similar smile and kept my eyes on him until he entered his house.

---

"I'M SO SORRY about the other day." Stiles told Scott as the three of us sat on the steps at school. Stiles was reciting to Scott what Allison had told him to say to him, but to a passerby it would probably sound like Stiles was genuinely talking to Scott. "I'm trying. We'll get through this. I know, because I love you. I love you more than-- Oh, my God!"

I laughed out loud as Scott's smile dropped and Stiles started to complain.

"I can't-- You and Allison just have to find a better way to communicate."

"Come on." Scott frowned. "You and Y/N are the only ones we can trust. Is she coming to the game tonight?"

"Yes, Scott. She's coming to the game." I cut in before Stiles could get more irritated, putting a hand on his shoulder as I did so. "There you go, message complete."

"Okay, now tell us about your boss." Stiles changed the subject quickly.

"He thinks that Allison's family keeps some kind of, uh, records of all the things that they've hunted. Like a book."