Prologue

As they dress me for my eighteenth birthday, my gut tells me something is wrong.

Sure, Light Fae always wear white, but never a big, frilly white dress. No. These are reserved for weddings.

Sure, it's a fancy ball, but why would Father get his daughter wear a dress that can only be described as a wedding dress to her birthday?

The maid's help me slip my shoes on – beautiful glass slippers with a small heel – and add a few more pieces of jewellery – because who doesn't love gold all up their ears, around their neck and on the hands? But the whole time, warning bells are going off in my head.

Father had never been much of a dad to me, but would he really get his daughter to be married the day she turned of age?

I need to speak with Perri.

I tell the maids that I'd like a moment alone and they nod before walking out, closing the door behind them. I don't waste a moment and quickly grab a small bag. I toss a few pairs of clothes inside and some books. I put in as much jewellery as I can because once I leave I will need something to pay for things.

I carefully open my pocket of the word and place the bag onto the floor of the small room before closing it back up. Gods, if only sifting were allowed on the grounds.

"Before we go to my celebrations," I tell the maid's as I open my doors, "I'd like to go to the kitchen. Have a strawberry to get rid of the nerves."

They look at each other but nod, directing me towards the kitchen instead of the Ballroom.

We don't pass anyone as we walk through the halls, everyone must be at the Ballroom already. Father got my older brother's to make a grand entrance on their eighteenth birthday, but obviously they never had second thoughts about entering the room because they weren't forced into a wedding suit.

As we arrive at the kitchen I quickly push the door open, telling the two maids with me to wait outside for me.

"What are you wearing? You look like you're about to get married." Perri says laughing then stops, turning around to look at the three tiered cake on the table behind her, "Holy shit, Stel. You're getting married."

"Gods, Perri, you have to help me out of here! I don't want to marry someone I've likely never met!" I panic.

Perri turns around, looking into the hustle and bustle of the kitchen. Everyone's so focused on their individual tasks that they haven't even noticed me. Of course, most of them are spelled anyways, but still.

"Wait here." She says before weaving through the other cooks. She comes back moments later with an older lady by her side.

"Darlin', I'm so sorry I though you knew. I thought you'd agreed!" Maria says, her eyes wide. Her grey hair is falling out of the bun she always wears, showing me just how busy she's been today. Getting ready for my wedding. "You're getting married to Count Parish's son."

"But he's like seventy years older than me!" I freak out.

"I know!" Maria says, brushing the lose strands of hair back, "I just thought you may have been into older men!"

"You thought our virgin friend was into older men?" Perri scoffs.

"I just thought that's why she was waiting!" Maria explains, "Older men are more interested in young virgins."

"I'd prefer if we didn't talk about my virginity and older men's interest in it." I say, snapping my fingers in front of their faces. They're very good at going off topic, even when it's my future on the line. "I can't marry him."

"You need to get out of here, darlin'." Maria nods. "You can use the servants passage."

She grabs a pair of scissors off one of the workbenches to the side and hands them to me. "The doors through there. Perri will take you, but only to the very exit."

I want Perri to come with me more than anything, but I can't ask her to do that. She has two younger brothers and a dying mother to look after, she needs this job.

"I hope to see you again one day." Maria says sadly, "Preferably when you're in a wedding dress with someone you're in love with and are choosing to marry."

I pull her into a hug, "I promise you'll be one of the first invited if that day ever comes, Maria." I smile at her as I let go, "Thank you."

Maria was like the mother I never had growing up, and I think I was the daughter she always wanted. Despite our social standings being completely different, I could always trust her. And now she's risking her life for me.

"You're welcome, darlin'." She smiles, "Now stay safe. Go!"

I grip the scissors and follow behind Perri as she leads me through the kitchen and to an almost unnoticeable door in the back. She pushes it open and I follow in after her.

I know that no one in the kitchen will tell Father I was here because they're either spelled to do whichever task they're told to do, or they're loyal to Maria. I also help them every now and then by slipping them some jewellery or goods to help, because I know most of the staff are only here because they have to be.

As soon as the door closes behind us Perri reaches to a shelf near the door and grabs a lantern but I shake my head.

"They'll notice one is missing," I say and she puts it back, "I'll light the way then give you a ball for the way back. you just need to cover it in a cloak or something to unlight it."

I circle my hands together and close my eyes, bringing my magic forward. I create a small sphere of light and let it float above us. Then I bend down and use the scissors to cut my dress just below my knees. I carry the fabric in my arms as we begin to walk.

"I didn't think your father would do something like this." Perri says, breaking the silence.

"Neither." I say quietly, "But now that I think about it, Gods, he had been mentioning it. I always just thought he was joking, or that it would be when I turn at least twenty. Not the day I come of age."

It's not a long walk to the end of the hall and soon we're standing at a closed door.

"I'm going to miss you so much, Silver." She says, pulling me into a hug.

"I promise we'll see each other again." I tell her.

We stay together for a few more moments before pulling away. I reach into my pocket of the world and grab out the black coat I put in there last summer when I didn't want to carry it and pull it on. Who would have thought my laziness would come in handy?

"Good luck." Perri says as I twist the handle open.

"You too, Perri." I say before leaving my home and entering an unfamiliar world.

---

Published - 4/4/2024

Word Count - 1216

OMG! I'm so excited to have finally gotten back into writing and I'm so excited to share this with you guys.

I hope you enjoy it.

Love always,

Brie <3