Chapter 3

Raelyn

Two hundredth win. Gods, they talk about my streak of two hundred wins but at least they don't mention the other hundreds I lost. At least now I can have a day off.

My chest is heaving as I catch my breath. Lucky I didn't go full out on all my previous fights. Though maybe I shouldn't have let them get in a few shots because my head hurts like a bitch now.

I hold my hands in a cross above my head, signalling to the crowd that I'm stopping for the night. A chorus of people booing surround me but I ignore them as I leave Kyro face down and unconscious on the mat and walk to the door.

It's already unlocked as I push it open and move over to the table.

I pick up the bags of money there waiting for me and carry it down the hallway.

It's a dimly lit hallway with doors on either side, different names written on each. This is Terez's 'hall of fame', as he likes to call it. Everyone that has more than one hundred wins gets a room right near the ring to prepare for their next match.

I walk down until I get to the one labelled Rave. I push it open and go inside.

It's a small room, barely bigger than a broom closet. There's a mirror and a few hooks hanging on the wall. Bellow the mirror is a sink and two towels. There's a small red couch against a wall and a small one doored wardrobe beside it.

I close the door behind me and flick on the light before reaching to the black bag I left hanging on one of the hooks. I dump the pouches into the bag and walk over to the sink. I turn the water on and wait as it warms up. I push my hands under and hiss as the warm water burns the wounds on my hands.

My knuckles split after an hour in the ring. I clench my jaw as I watch the blood drain down through the sink. As soon as the dried blood is gone I turn the tap of and reach to one of the towels on the hook, carefully drying my hands.

When they're dry I close my eyes and summon the power deep inside of me. I have to concentrate hard when I'm healing myself because I was never fully trained with my magic. I focus on the pain in my knuckles and slowly it dims. I direct the warmth of my magic to my legs, feeling the bruises already beginning to form disappear.

Then it travels from my stomach to my chest and to my arms. It hesitates as it reaches my face. I grit my teeth and force it to heal the bruises on my jaw and cheekbones. I feel my eye no longer being tight and swollen and my lip deflates to its usual size.

And then there's a crack and I hiss out in pain as my nose pops back into place.

Healing bruises and cuts is one thing, but I've learnt that nothing hurts more than mending a broken or dislocated bone.

I open my eyes and stare in the mirror. My face is no longer swollen and my nose is no longer crooked. But I'm still covered in blood. Both my own and others.

I strip out of my clothes and turn the sink on again. The water is already warm so I get to work with cleaning myself. I wet the towel and scrub it over myself, wringing the water out in the sink every now and then. By the time most of the blood is off of me, the grey towel is a dark wine red and my hair is cleaner, no longer a dark red, just its normal light red.

People speculate that my hair is red to hide the blood in it. Which isn't true, it's just a perk.

I chuck the towel in the basket along with my clothes for the cleaning crew to pick up and then grab a larger towel out of the wardrobe. I unfold it and wrap it around myself, quickly drying off.

I change into a new pair of undergarments and black leggings and a black shirt. I tie my hair into a bun and then throw the cloak over myself, hiding my face from view.

I grab the bag and put it over my shoulder before tucking it under the cloak and walk out.

Terez said to have the rest of the night off so I can treat myself for once.

I walk up the stairs at the end of the hallway and push aside the red curtain. The sound of people shouting and cheering reaches me as I walk further into the crowd of people.

I move through, weaving around people until I get to the other side of the room. I push open the double doors and walk up another set of stairs and into the clubbing area at the ground entrance. I wonder how many people here know there's an illegal underground fighting ring beneath them right now.

I walk around the outskirts of the room, ignoring the site of people naked and dancing together on the dance floor. And the couples or groups of people at tables or in corners of the room. The open sex was a shock to me the first time I came here, but it's normal now.

I make it to front doors and leave the building, the cold air reaching me as soon as I step out. I wrap my cloak around me and walk to the side of the building, climbing up the stairs. I walk past two doors until I get to the third one on the end.

I grab my key out of my pocket and slide it into the lock. I twist it then walk in.

My room is a lot bigger than the one reserved at the fighting ring. There's a double bed to one side, the blanket still crinkled from when I woke up this morning – why waste time making my bed if I'm going to be sleeping in it again? There's a couch on the opposite end, a coffee table in front of it. There's a small kitchen through the door to the left and a bathroom to the door on the right.

It's not that big, but it's enough for me. Of course, I have another house closer to the heart of the city that I use when I have some free time. Or when I need to get laid.

Terez would murder me himself if he knew I had bought a companion here.

I take my cloak off and toss it on the hook next to the door and head straight to my bathroom.

There's a shower, a toilet, and a sink. It's not that big but it's better than nothing.

I strip and chuck my clothes into the laundry basket and then jump into the shower. I take time washing my hair and my body, only getting out once I smell like vanilla and not a single trace of blood.

I step out and dry myself off before wrapping the towel around me. I use my hair dryer to dry my hair, curling it as I go. I quickly do my makeup and then leave the bathroom and head over to my wardrobe.

I open the wooden doors and grab out a black, lace dress. I quickly get dressed and put on some heels. I grab a clutch and the look at myself in the mirror.

The black dress is a new one I haven't worn before, but it's beautiful. It's black silk covered in lace flower patters and it stops about mid thighs. Might as well look hot when I'm catching some people selling drugs.

My red hair falls in neat waves down my back and my light blue eyes look bright in the light, almost turning the silver colour it goes sometimes.

My tan legs look long in the short skirt and black heels and I smile. I look so different to what I look like in the ring. With my bloodless face and styled red hair. I grab the key out of my cloak pocket and shove it in my clutch.

Time to go bust some drug dealers I guess.

---

Published - 5/4/2024

Word Count - 1408

Let me know if there's any names you guys would like me to include!

Love always, 

Brie