Chapter 1

Part 1: The Designer and the Killer

I awoke with a start, the nightmare in my head waking me up in a cold sweat. The same nightmare that was occurring for two months now.

I pulled the sheets off of me, welcoming the cold air that brushed across my skin. The dream had to go away eventually, it had been 8 weeks and two days. I always tracked my dreams, my Avia, my grandmother. always said they had meaning. This dream was filled with meaning, even if I didn't want to admit it to myself.

Sun rays hit my mirror as I walked over to it, illuminating small rainbows across the room. I thought of the old myth behind rainbows, nostalgic of how my Aiva used to tell it when we would drink tea and eat wild berries in her garden when I was a small child. She stopped when I started working, there was no time for stories now.

I could remember her words clear as crystal, her thick accent and hands waving around to illustrate her points and details of the story.

"Did I ever tell you the story behind rainbows mi ocelle? Yes the one about the war between the Gods. Ahhh, my own Aiva used to tell my this story and many others. Well, one day back in the ancient times, Ekthos, God of Envy decided he wanted to rule the Gods, instead of Ither, God of Battle. They live up to their names little one. When Ither found out, he challenged Ekthos to a fight in a human form. No magic, no weapons, just bare hands and logic. Of course Ither won, he is God of Battle. Once this happened, it came to an agreement nobody would rule, they would have their own separate kingdoms in which they ruled, but they were self governed. Odona, Goddess of Hope and Endings gathered up all the God's joy and turned it into a brilliant burst of color, and it filled out the sky. Now after it rains, we get those small burst of happiness from time to time, to show we are reborn and renew. Now go play little one."

I blinked with fondness at the memory. I was so small and innocent, and viewed my Aiva as my whole world. I had other things to focus on now. As a designer for the richer ladies in my villages, I was constantly busy with sketching designs and sending them to the seamstresses. Wether it was wedding gowns, ball gowns, or simple night dresses, I was called upon.

I slid out of my night gown and into my day wear. It was a light brown dress, with a white lace up in the front, cinched at the waist and ending at my ankles. I put my sketchbook and quills in my satchel, preparing for the day.

I left my room, the familiar smells of my mothers cooking filling my nose. My father was already at work, laboring in the fields until dark.

"Your breakfast is ready, how many clients do you have today?" My mother asked, her eyes down at her pan.

I frowned looking at how meek she appeared, how small. My mother was strong, bold and thoughtful. Lately that has begun to fade. My fathers temper rose more and more often, wether he was drinking liquor or not.

My mother was beautiful too, her caramel skin and soft brown eyes like pools of honey on her face. She had long black hair like me, but she was slender, with a sharp jawline. While my mother was lithe and long, I was all curves and rolls. I had broad shoulders, with nice breasts and large, wide hips. I was of average height, but I knew I wouldn't grow any taller.

"Three clients, though my last one is quite special, a Duchess, she is human but married a Duke who is cousins with the King," I said, slowly chewing my oatmeal and bread.

"This will pay well, but do not tell your father," She breathed, as if he could hear us from here.

"I will be back late, the Duchess is staying in an estate on the edge of the village, it will be bit of a walk." I said, standing up to grab my traveling boots.