Chapter 12

As I entered the room, every dignitary and ambassador did not look away, not until I met their eyes with a challenging gaze. Calix seemed the most surprised, but I didn't miss the hint of amusement in his eyes

I took a seat next to him, flashing him a grin and pretending to not hear the gasps of almost ever person aside from me and him in the room. I surveyed the room with a predators gaze, let them think they were my prey.

Every one of them tried not to avert their gaze, and every single one failed. Except one, a handsome ambassador, most likely one from the North. He held my gaze and grinned, which is where it was my turn to gape. His smile was breathtaking, wide and pearl white teeth upturned into a smile that could outdo the Gods themselves.

Calix scowled when he saw the ambassador didn't look away, enough so that I knew the two recognized each other. When the ambassadors finally looked back up I regained myself, shifting my focus on them as a whole rather than the one with the beautiful smile. Calix addressed each and every one of them by name, finally moving onto the other one.

"Lord Davian, how delightful to see you. How were your travels?" Calix asked, his demeanor was polite but I could hear the edge to his voice. Something about him made Calix tense. But why?

"Quite interesting, and expensive. How do you and your fiancé fare?" Davian replied with an expert charisma, no doubt swooning all the ladies at his home.

I fought to keep a blush back when I thought of him with ladies, it was improper for me to think of it for quite a few reasons. For one I was engaged to a man I liked very much, and for two men I didn't even know—no matter how handsome—didn't get the privilege of making me blush. Even Calix barely did that, only if we were getting touchy. Which was quite a lot now that I thought about it.

"We are fine, thank you for asking." I answered instead with an icy coolness to my voice, resenting this young ambassador for not showing me the respect I deserved, especially when everyone else did.

I finally looked down back at myself, satisfaction filling me with warmth at my tattoos covering every part of my body revealed, which was quiet a lot. I wore no crown but didn't need one, it wasn't hard to notice me. My dress was a deep sweetheart neckline with sheer fabric covering it up to the height of my neck. It had a high slit up to where my thigh started. My scar was prominent and matched the shape of all my tattoos that worked themselves up and down my leg and snaked down my arms.

I grinned and started the meeting with another grin, staring them all down with a sharp sense of clearness, sharp enough that even Davian had the sense to look down find out just how interesting the table was. I discussed Calix's marriage to me, and how we would rule.

"And finally, we will take our titles as Emperor and Empress of Trikingdom." I concluded, leaning back into my seat, feeling Calix's hand envelope mine. Something about the soft gesture of reassurance made me want to kiss him passionately and not stop, ever. Maybe later.

The room erupted into a chaotic chatter, everyone arguing over their stances, even Calix. Only one person sat still with a lethal calm, his eyes on me, lips upturned. Davian. I scowled and his smile only widened. Prick. Finally I cleared my throat and they stopped, frowns on all of their faces at being interrupted. Welcome to a woman's world.

"This meeting was not meant for a debate or for a vote, it was so we could communicate it to you in person. A letter would have not sufficed. Our decision is not a question. Is that clear?" I asked, intensity in my gaze.

"Crystal clear, but don't you think that you sound a bit like a dictator?" Davian replied casually, a wicked smile working itself up his face.

"Don't you think you sound a bit like someone who's about to lose their tongue." I snapped, feeling Calix's grip tighten. I already knew he would have that dark look in his eyes, one that would send a lesser man running.