Chapter 8

When I did wake up, I woke up ready. The ball was today, starting at 6 o'clock in the evening and ending at midnight. I would be asked to dance on the last song of the night, and on the very last verse was when I would kill him.

I was in a trance today, I did endlessly talking and gossip at tea, pretending to forgive Kao only until after this.

Finally my dress came. I had honored my Aiva's request and did slits that covered my middle but showed my thighs. I had a two piece with a red top and black bottom. I would wear a simple ruby pendant. My dagger would be encrusted with rubies, a little nod to the dress code and to how he would die.

I strapped the dagger into a hidden pocket in my skirt and looked at myself. I looked like a girl in a beautiful  going to a ball. I was that and so much more.

I didn't ever find out what happened to Tariq's body but I did know Emerelda knew it was somehow connected to me. She met my eyes once at the meeting where she was presented with the sword Kao had left there. Her gaze was piercing with a fierce anger in her eyes. This was my fault and she knew it. She was angry and she had every right to be.

I exchanged stolen kisses and moonlight lies for the better of the people. I shoved my grief down deep and let the peace overwhelm me to the point I felt bored, even with what would happen in less than 24 hours. I was ready and I wanted it over.

One more night and I could do it. I would do it. I would finish it and go home and live with mother and pretend this never happened. My hands would be stained with blood but I would leave this palace and it's death.

My mind drifted back to Tariq and as if on cue Emerelda appeared next to me. She didn't say anything at first but I could feel the unspoken words in the air.

"My brother is dead." She said, said matter of factly.

"Yes." I replied simply.

"It has to do with you." She said quietly.

"Yes but you don't understand-"

She cut me off in a hushed voice, "I understand he was slain by someone jealous. I understand that you were kissing him. That is all I need to know."

I pursed my lips and wanted to tell her everything. How we had been simply joking and being humorous at first, even if it turned a bit more heated. How his lips met mine and I didn't stop him even thought I knew I should. I didn't because I was angry at Kao and the world in general. I wanted to explain I thought Kao was my soulmate but needed a distraction.

She didn't understand how he made one single cry out from the pain, and nothing more. How Kao had the bloody sword in his hand as Tariq's head rolled on the ground. The blood from his neck got over my dress and I hyperventilated trying to get it off that night. I was terrified and felt ay guilty as if I had held the sword myself. Perhaps I did in a way.

"You have every right to be angry at me Emerelda." I said as I tried not to spill out all my thoughts.

"I am not angry at you. That is not the word. Perhaps enraged and a vengeful is." She mused quietly, more to herself than me.

"If you blame me for his death then kill me." I said tiredly, ready for the just beginning argument to be over with.

"Not before you kill the King. Plus, to kill you in an unnatural way would be to go against the Gods. I think you will have punishment enough in the afterlife." She said bitterly.

I raised my eyebrows, how did she know what all would happen? If the Queen lied to me why would she tell the truth to her?

"You know of my future too then." I said.