Chapter 4

IN THE NEAR FUTURE

Blood. Everywhere, On my hands, my dress, even my face. I would never feel as happy as I did now. Even if it was a bittersweet happiness. I had done it, I had killed him.

His pulse was gone. The consequences of his actions finally caught up with him, even if he never thought they would. But at what cost? I remember what my Aiva said, my slaughter of him would free all the souls who were stuck in the afterlife. But people close to me souls would also go into the afterlife.

I had done what I came to do. I did what the Gods ordered me and it was over. I could go back to my normal life now, with my family, with the people who loved me.

~

I woke up quickly and suddenly. What did this mean, why was my nightmare different this time? My head was reeling from my nightmare and all the questions that came with it.

"Anika." I said, my voice groggy.

"Yes Lady Marianna." She said as she folded laundry in the corner.

"What do I have to do today?" I asked, already dreading what might come.

I was tired and just wanted to sleep. I did promise I would have morning tea with Aiva, which meant much of the court would be there. I would need something nice to wear.

"First you have tea with your grandmother and some of the court, followed by a meeting with the King in his private studies." She said, calmly as if talking about the weather.

I sat up fully, "What do you mean meeting with the King in his private studies."

"He has requested this meeting last night, when you were asleep." She said, loading the rest of her laundry in a basket.

I didn't even have to ask before she handed me a black dress, strapless once again, it was a modest square neck, it's entire fabric made out of lace. It reached my ankles. As I looked closer I realized the designs of the lace made little flowers. It was beautiful.

"The King requested you wear it himself." Anika breathed, her hand brushing over the fabric.

She handed me a choker. It was made out of rubies. It was always the rubies. Perhaps I should pretend to be sick. But no, that would just anger him. I took a breath and slid black satin slippers on.

As I walked out the door I wondered what Aiva would think of me wearing palace colors. Given by the King no less. And now that my nightmare had changed...something was bad was happening and it was happening fast.

"Goodmorning grandmother, Your Graces." I said, bowing my head to them as I took a seat next to her.

"What are you wearing." My Avia hissed, looking me up and down.

"The King has requested me to his private studies after this, and I was given this to wear." I breathed, my voice low with so many people around.

A tear slipped down my Aiva's cheek, but fast as lightning she wiped it away. This was not good. Aiva didn't cry, not even when my Avus, her own husband died.

"You are crying Aiva." I said quietly, a sort of acceptance in my voice that I wished would go away.

I knew my fate the minute the Queen called me in that meeting yesterday. I would kill, and I might die. But I would not let Aiva be here to witness it.

"Yes mi ocelle, only for you. You will have to do terrible things. It is irreversible now. They have your grave dug and they are burying you in it." She said, shaking her head.