Chapter 7

IN THE NEAR FUTURE

"Why did you mess with my soul." I asked, used to the echoes by now."

"I was jealous, and perfect is so boring, but you already knew this, so why ask?" Nitrix replied.

"I needed to hear it from someone who didn't marry the very person I'm supposed to kill." I said quietly, wishing it wasn't true.

Nitrix laughed and I felt it deep in my soul, some invisible string felt like it connected us when she talked or laughed. I was not just made from her, I was her. That explained the chaos I would create without care, those fleeting thoughts I had that wanted me to do something terrible without regard for how it affected others.

"Why hasn't Veheia come to visit me in my dreams yet." I asked, afraid of the answer.

"Oh dear, these are not dreams, they are visions."

                                       ~

I sat in my room now, letting all of the realization of my meeting with the Queen sink in. I had 3 days till the ball and I was prepared, I was ready to kill the monster, the King.

I heard a knock and Kao came in, "Hello Marianna, are you okay."

He dropped his glass of water he brought, the glass hitting the ground with a screeching noise that eerily made me happy.

"What happened to your hair Marianna." He asked, his eyes still on me.

"I cut it." I said, matter of factly.

"But why?" He asked.

I shrugged, "Why not, I needed a change."

"Ah," He said as if he understood, "I see."

"Why did you come." I said, my voice sharp.

He flinched and I tried to feel even a bit of regret, but I couldn't bring myself to. Maybe this is what happened when I unleashed my powers. The insanity was drowning me and I couldn't tread water anymore.

"To come help or comfort you, whatever you need. I understand your grieving-"

"You don't understand. So don't pretend as if you do. You know nothing about me." I said, my voice sharper than the glass on the ground.

His eyes turned hard and cold, "I know everything about you Marianna. I have since before your soul came to life."

I froze, he knew. Of course he knew, how could he not? I needed to be kinder to him, he would be my husband one day. I knew that soon I would be in love, and he did understand. He spent all those years searching for me, and yet here I was, shutting him out.

I tried not to start shaking again as I said it, "I'm sorry Kao, you're right, I am grieving and it's hard, it really is."

"I love you and I'm here for you wether you want me to be or not love." He said, wrapping me in his arms.

I let him hold me, everything was alright until a blood stained dagger was aimed at me.

Voices were going in and out, but I knew I wasn't dreaming by the weight of my body I felt. All I remembered was a dagger and I was being thrown out of the way by a figure that screamed out in pain. I prayed and prayed it wasn't Kao.

I sat up quickly, too quickly to be alright. My vision wasn't blurred thankfully, and I saw figures go in and out. I realized I was in a temple and those figures were priests and priestesses. Why was I in a temple?

"Why am I here." I breathed, my voice groggy.

The priests and priestesses stopped and stared at me wide-eyed and silent. None of them answered and I scowled.