Chapter 2

My head was pounding when I awoke, this time from the nightmare and the wine. I rubbed my head and tried to remember exactly what had happened.

As more memories came to me the more I wanted to forget it all again, I had made a fool of myself, and in front of the Crown Prince no less. What would he think? What would the Queen think? Would I be kicked out, trialed?

"Get up, you're expected with the royal family, now!" Anika said suddenly, fully waking me up.

I stood up to fast, making me dizzy. How was I supposed to present myself in front of the royal family like this? I picked up the dress Anika handed me and eyed it. It was pretty, too pretty to be executed in, and if you were in trial you were to be sent home with everything on your back.

It was black and sleek, with a high neck and it was strapless. What got me were the little encrusted rubies on the collar, encircling my neck. Royal colors, only very high members of the court could wear, and it was given by the royal family themselves.

Without looking back for Anika I yanked my dress on and brushed my hair until it was as long and sleek as my dress. I quickly applied kohl and lip stain.

As soon as I opened the door the guards grabbed me and pulled me through many hallway. As if I wasn't already dizzy enough, the stairs did it.

When we finally entered a room, I was stunned to see yet another throne room. It was beautiful and was built to resemble a Greek temple. The pillars were open, letting a cold breeze in. The thrones in themselves were dark and unsettling, a strange contrast to the sunlight and the openness.

Upon them sat the King and the Queen. Only smaller, less decorated thrones sat the Princes and Princess Alva. I blushed when I made eye contact with Prince Kao, he scowled at me and I stared at the ground.

I noticed that there was no one else in the throne room, so it wasn't a trial or execution. Did they come to mock me by making me wear this dress as if I was one of them?

"Goodmorning Marianna." The Queen said, almost sarcastically.

"Goodmorning Your Majesty's." I said bowing.

"Do you know why you are here Marianna?" The Queen asked.

"Why wouldn't she Melantha, she did cause the most commotion this courts seen in the last 50 years or so." The King grumbled.

I dared a glance at him. He seemed distracted, bored even. His hair was slicked back today instead of in a small ponytail and he wore casual black and red robes. At least he didn't target me and ask me why I was here.

The Queen glared at him as she continued, "You brought shame on yourself. You are supposed to design outfits, not ruin them."

"Yes Your Majesty, I thoroughly and sincerely apologize. My behavior was reckless and inappropriate. It would be an honor to still serve in your court." I said, wanting to ask why I was in such a dress.

"Unfortunately I have no choice. My son has a history of flirting with young court ladies who do not desire him. You are the first to say or do anything in return. I do not justify what you did, and neither does the court. However if I release you I will have no decent designer and it will look bad on me." She said.

I paused, she wasn't as mad as I thought. Embarrassed for her son and herself, yes. A small part of me was almost glad I had done it, to teach him a lesson.

"Mother, let her ask whatever question she has, it's on the edge of her tounge and I'm curious." Princess Alva interrupted.

Was I that easy to read? For all of the limited time I had spent with her this had surprised me the most. Maybe she was always reading people when she wasn't talking.