Chapter 13

I ignored the many glances sent my way as I sat down for lunch with Nuri on my shoulder, hissing at anyone who came too close, other than the servants who carried food. She sent out a small spew of flames for her section of food, burning it to a crisp and eating it. I remembered my Aunt Deyirana telling me how baby dragons had to have purely burnt food, which they learned to do for themselves almost immediately. But as they got older they could eat raw meat, devouring humans or livestock whole.

Calix sat next to me gently, "I see you found your Dragon-Mate, she's much smaller than I imagined."

Nuri seemed to bristle at the words and sent an another batch of small flames to Calix's plate, drawing a loud laugh from him.

I stroked her head, "She's the runt of the litter, much smaller than her siblings. But I love her, she is my daughter, and her name is Nuri."

Calix didn't object or ask why, only shrugged, "Welcome to the family Nuri, I'm Calix, hopefully your father it's that allowed."

I laughed as she hopped over to his shoulder, "I think she accepts you."

Emeralda walked in laughing with a duke, and stopped and screeched when she saw me, "Are those tattoos? Is that a dragon?" she asked incredulously.

I laughed, "Yes Emerelda, it's a dragon, my Dragon-Mate actually. I'm incredibly lucky to have met it so young, it is a life long bond in between a Witch and her dragon. These tattoos were done by my Aunt Deyirana's, one for each death related to me."

She seemed to bristle as my voice softened at the last part, "Is there one for Tariq?"

I nodded somberly, "My left arm."

I thought she would snap at me or even slap me, but instead she only nodded approvingly, "Good, I can rest knowing you accept the responsibility of his death."

Calix looked at me with wide eyes and I only shook my head, a silent plea to wait until we were alone for that conversation. Nuri seemed to be curious about Emerelda, sniffing over at her and huffing a bit when she was shooed away.

"She really wants to make friends with you Emerelda, she growls at everybody else." I pointed out, running my fingers over Nuri's now sleeping body.

She shook her head firmly, "I will pet that dog of yours when my baby is delivered, but I refuse to let a dangerous creature so close to me while my baby boy sleeps in my stomach.

Everybody perked up at how she mentioned it was a boy, and she smiled, "I've known it was a boy for a little while now, but it is fun to see my husband run to the temple like a devout worshipper."

I barked a laugh at this and everyone else looked mildly uncomfortable, except Calix of course. He never looked uncomfortable with me, only star stricken or happy, both of which I didn't know why. I don't know why he loves me, I am beautiful but in a fierce way, not in the way a princess was. But then again I was no princess, I was a queen. And soon I would be Empress of Trikingdom.

Calix cleared his throat and stood up, capturing everyone's attention, especially mine, "I do not mean to take the spotlight away from you in any way Duchess Carrion. But speaking of husbands, Marianna and I plan to be wed in a week, on the same day we shall become Empress and King-Consort."

My heart melted as he said king-consort, refusing to take place as my true equal, instead of giving me the power.

Lady Olive spoke up suddenly, alerting many that didn't know of her about her presence, "Queen Marianna and King Calix, I ask for your blessing for my own marriage. in the coming weeks."

I pressed the subject gently, a bit confused, "And who do you want to wed?"

She swallowed and hesitated at her words, "His name is Elijah, he's a servant. I don't care that I'm the last heir to House Moore, or that he isn't allowed to marry me because of my status. We have new, just rulers. I love him and he feels the same."