Chapter 14

I felt Nuri blowing smoke on my face, letting out shrieks of protest when I pushed her away to get up. I still had no clothes on, but I felt more free than I ever had been. Nuri shrieked again and I tried not too flinch, when did she become so loud?

I finally opened my eyes and scrambled back, this was not my tiny Nuri, not the runt of the litter. She was huge, larger than all of the dragons, even Aunt Deyirana's. Her face was larger than my whole body, longer and wider. Her beautiful black scales fierce and bright against the sun. Her large orange eyes looked into mine lovingly, as if to ask why I hadn't gotten up yet.

As I propped myself up I saw every witch, including my aunt, bowing down, their dragons lowering their head in respect. Each of them stripped of their own clothes, putting it into their sacks around their shoulders.

The message was clear, they would ride their dragons in the same fashion of me, a symbol of respect and obedience. Nuri lowered herself down and her tail moved over for me to climb upon it, I did so and she took flight.

This was not freezing and scary, it was natural and warm. The wind whipped through my hair but I felt no cold, my own internal fire and Nuri's own fire warmed me. She let out a fierce cry and blew fire, but not far enough to burn up the villages we passed.

Many bystanders watched in amazement, shouting about the naked, tattooed, Witch who rode the largest dragon they had ever seen. They shouted about her scar and that she was the Empress who would rule over all the land, the one who would crush their enemies.

I let out a fierce sound, one that felt more animalistic than human, but I was no human. I did not look human, I ruled over them. I ruled over the Witches in the South and all of the humans North of that, they were my subjects.

As I landed in front of the palace many servants and nobles ran out to see the commotion, gasping as they saw me atop Nuri, who they last seen as the size of a puppy. Calix stood in the front, his eyes lit with awe and reverence.

Nuri lowered herself down again and I climbed down her tail effortlessly, the move as natural as breathing. Calix ran over to me and offered me his cloak, which I refused. He didn't protest, only slipped my hand in his and led me through the castle until we were in our chambers.

He looked me up and down, "Where were you Mari? How is Nuri so big? Are you okay?"

I laughed, "I was celebrating, and her and I walked through fire together, both unharmed. I'm more than okay, I am the best version of myself I have ever been."

He cradled my head against his, "I'm sorry for looking at you like that last night, I was scared for what it might mean for us."

I nodded, "I'm sorry you had to see me the way you did. If you see me any different I understand."

He rolled his eyes, much to my own amusement, "I see you as the woman I'm going to marry, nothing will ever change that."

"I love you," I said, the words spilling out of before I could stop them.

I had known these words to be the truth when he put his head on mine and told me everything was okay. Our wedding was in 3 short days, but it felt far too long.

He gazed at me with a open mouth, "You don't have to say those words if it's not true yet Mari."

I rolled my own eyes and leaned in to kiss him, slowly and meaningfully, to show how much I meant them. He responded with his own kiss, our lips embracing in a divine way.