Chapter 5

Wake up Marianna, he is dead but his shadower isn't. I have to get out of here and fast. I couldn't clean up, too much blood.

I ran and stumbled, I could hear something behind me and it was approaching fast. My running was already slow because of the wound on my face where a guard has slashed me with his claw, I couldn't see out of my right eye.

"Come here Marianna, you killed him, and I loved him. You stole his life from him and therefore stole him from me." Said the voice.

"He had it coming, you knew everything and let it happen." I managed to rasp out.

It was all happening too fast. I had trained for only a week when the ball came up. I could wield a dagger and knife decently, but my powers were still weak for little use over the years.

I couldn't win this fight, but I had knew that from the start. I had killed him, the thing I was destined to do. I had completed my mission on this realm. Maybe the afterlife wouldn't be so bad.

"Giving up already Marianna?" The voice taunted.

"I gave up when he took his last breath, this battle was won when that dagger went through him." I managed to gasp.

The voice yelled and screamed, "HE WAS NOT YOURS TO KILL! YOU BETRAYED HIM, I LOVED HIM."

I stumbled and ended up with my back on the floor. I lay down like that for a few minutes. I didn't know what the voice was doing, probably preparing to kill me.

An excruciating pain went through my stomach, right where I had stabbed him. Everything went a little hazy, and my last view was the mosaic of the Gods on the ceiling.

~

"Wake up Lady Marianna!" Anika said hurriedly, "You will be late for tea"

She had woken me up for...tea? I rubbed my eyes and walked over to the powder room to freshen up. I looked in the mirror and barely recognized myself.

My hair was even darker than black, like midnight itself, it's shine evident from my oils. My nails were long and painted maroon. My skin was clean and its dark brown tint was radiant. I hadn't bothered to really worry about my appearance these past couple days, not with what was going on. But I liked how I looked, I looked beautiful.

I washed my hair and my face, the cold water fully waking me up. Was the tea really that important? By the Gods I was tired of all the nightmares and unsettling news.

"Anika, what am I ordered to wear today." I said, running a comb through my hair.

Anika looked surprised, "Nothing Lady Marianna, you are free to wear what you choose."

"Thank the Gods." I muttered more to myself than her.

I walked over to the closet and surveyed it with a critical eye. There were clothes in this closet to fit almost any status, even a queen. My eyes finally settled on a magnificent dark green dress.

It was majestic and youthful, with a slit up one side, and it was strapless with a sweetheart neckline. I loved it, but I needed jewelry to pair with it.

"I have a diamond necklace that will match perfectly, along with some diamond earrings." Anika said softly.

I nodded and slipped on the dress, loving how it fit me. As I put on the jewelry my mind slid back to Lord Tariq and I scolded myself for thinking of him, even though he was charming.

I shook my head, I wouldn't let a man's flirting get the best of me. I made a fool of Prince Kao when he took it too far, and I would not hesitate to do it again.