Chapter 13

⋆˖⁺‧₊☽◯☾₊‧⁺˖⋆

They had overslept.

Sebastian was the first to wake up, noticing the light filtering in through the curtains. He sat straight up in a panic, causing Maeve to rustle.

"Shit." He hissed as he throws back the covers. He searches the floor for his clothes, quickly pulling them on.

"What is it?" Maeve sits up her eyes still close, her arms stretching over her head.

"We overslept."

Maeve's eyes snap open and quickly widen. Panic rising in her as she scrambles out of the bed.

"This is bad." She hisses pulling on her clothes. "Really bad, Poppy loves Christmas and is likely already awake and about to barrel in here."

Almost as if Poppy was reading her mind, there was knock on the door.

The couple locked eyes, Sebastian ran hand through his hair nervously as he held his breath.

"What is it?" Maeve calls still looking at Sebastian.

"Come on Maeve, I want to open presents!" Poppy whines through the door, her fist banging rapidly against the wood.

"I will be out shortly." She calls back.

"Fine." Poppy grumbles back.

The sound of Poppy's receding footsteps allowed Sebastian to let out the breath he was holding.

Maeve flicks her wand her hair instantly twisting up into a neat updo. She turns to Sebastian and he is grinning at her.

"What?" She hisses.

"You're so beautiful." He walks up to her his hands resting on her shoulders. A blush crept onto her cheeks as she smiled up at him.

"Thank you." She reaches up on her toes to place a tender kiss to his lips. "Now, here's the plan. I will go out. I will keep them distracted and then, you leave."

"I would do whatever you wanted me too." He whispers kissing her again and she smiles against his lips.

"Five minutes Sallow." She holds up her hand as she heads for the door.

"Five minutes Crawford." He winks back standing up against the bedpost. She looked him over once more before leaving the room.

She tried everything to wipe the smile off her face before heading out into the sitting room.

⋆˖⁺‧₊☽◯☾₊‧⁺˖⋆

Christmas morning had gone exactly as Maeve had expected. Sebastian joined them not one second before or after the five minutes she originally told him. When he emerged from the hallway he earned a couple of questioning glances but he shrugged them off.

Maeve had never laughed so much while opening presents before. Poppy had given Maeve a lovely journal to document any more of her ancient magic research, which she was grateful for. Especially now, since there was another repository she needed to investigate. Ominis had given her a box of Bertie Bott's every flavoured beans, Sebastian had gifted her a lovely sweater with a note in the box saying he has something for her for later.

Once the group had finished opening all of the gifts, Agnes had left the room to get them some tea. Once she returned, a red parcel in the tree caught Sebastian's eye.

"Ah we missed one." Sebastian says plucking a wrapped parcel from the tree. "Strange though." He turns it over in his hand inspecting it.

"What is it?" Ominis asks pressing a tender kiss to Poppy's head that was leaned up against him while he sat on the couch, her on the floor.