Chapter 16

⋆˖⁺‧₊☽◯☾₊‧⁺˖⋆

There was someone blotting a cold cloth on her forehead. Maeve blinks while trying not to wince at the ringing in her ears.

"Careful." Sebastian whispered pressing the damp cloth to her skin again.

Maeve opened her eyes to see that she was staring up at the dinning room ceiling. She must have been lowered to the floor by Sebastian. She could hear faint voices coming from the kitchen, quickly recognized as her parents.

Sebastian puts his hand on her back slowly helping her into a sitting position.

"Thank you." She whispered and he smiled at her, his hand resting on her cheek.

"Feeling okay?" He asked softly and she nodded. He leaned forward pressing his lips gently to hers in a delicate kiss.

"Was I out long?" Maeve whispers clearing her throat and Sebastian shakes his head.

"Not too long."

"Have they been?" She nods her head towards to the kitchen at the loud voices exchanging in the room next to them.

"Been fighting the whole time? Yeah." Sebastian gives her a small smile. Her parents didn't fight often, hardly ever.

She winced as she heard something smash to the floor.

"Help me up, please." Maeve whispers and Sebastian nods, helping her stand. Her knees wobble slightly but she clutches to Sebastian to anchor her.

He doesn't leave her side until she is sat back in the chair, even then he's so close to her to make sure she doesn't fall over again.

"I think.. I over reacted." Maeve blinks staring at the knocked over cups on the tables, wincing again as a door slammed. She quickly realized it was the front door. 

"I don't think so." Sebastian whispers, taking his thumb and running it along her bottom lip. His eyes fixated on her lips. She smiles as she watches his gaze finally meet hers. 

"Thank you for being here." Maeve whispers. 

"Even though.. you didn't want me here." He smirks and her smiles drops instantly, she rolls her eyes while sending a glare at him. He takes his thumb running it along her bottom lip once more.  "I know." Was all he said. 

The moment was disturbed by the sound of her mothers footsteps entering the dining room, Maeve snapped her attention to the woman. 

Her eyes were swollen and puffy, her face blotchy. Maeve felt a pang of guilt, knowing that her anger caused so much despair between her parents, that she had caused them so much stress. Her eyes fill with tears again as her mother sits directly across from her at the table. 

"Mom." Maeve's voice cracked, filled with emotions. 

"We never meant for it to come to this." Helen responded. She clears her throat before continuing, "We do love you, we just wanted you safe." 

"I know." Maeve reached her hand out across the table, her hand resting against her mothers. "I need you to tell me everything." 

Helen's lip trembled as she looked over her shoulder towards the front door, then back to Maeve. 

"Mrs. Crawford." Sebastian shifted his attention to her, her eyes snapped to Sebastian and her facial expression looked like she had forgotten he was there entirely. Helen's face lit up, her eyes lifted as a smile painted her lips. 

"Why don't we wait until your father comes back." Helen nods reaching her other hand out to Sebastian, whose expression softened and placed his hand in hers. "For now, tell me about you two."