13.

nancy slept fitfully on the fact that her brother was queer. illness tugged at her stomach; an overwhelming, familiar feeling. she couldn't quite link the connection.

no, she could. this was percisely how she felt when she thought of-- or was around robin. she couldn't come to terms with it, though.

any little thing that really reminded her of robin made her stomach ache, actually. the smell of strawberry flavored chapstick, colonge, VHS tapes.

but, she had just summed it up to being her jealousy. the jealousy that knawed on her and-- induced vomit. right?

well, she was unsure. now that she recognized the fact that not only did she feel sick, but she also felt her heart quicken and cheeks heat up each time she was in the presence of robin.

and then she had discovered it wasn't jealousy this was... just...

-

after hours of nancy being drowned in thought, she emerged from her room. she had slept in her clothing from the day before and not bothered to put herself together at all.

"mike?" she called through the empty house, tripping down the stairs and making her way into the kitchen. dawn had crept past quickly, and the sun was already high above the clouds.

"nancy?" he hollered back, running up the stairs that led into the bathroom. his eyes were slightly tinted red and puffy.

she stood; whilst blankly staring at him, her legs felt weak. body sore. the taste of sickness still on her lips.

she took a few tenative steps over, wrapping her arms around him in a tight hug.

"i'm sorry," she breathed out, hiccuping.

"are you still hungover?" he tilted his head up, hugging her back with confusion.

"no, i- i understand now."

"understand what?"

"what you meant yesterday-- i get it, i understand why you think you understand. i don't say it enough, but you should know you mean the world to me. i'll love you no matter what," she stammered.

"oh,"

"oh," nancy repeated.

"so you finally figured out i'm...?" his voice trailed off, nancy had no trouble filling in the blanks.

"yes."

"took you long enough," he blinked.

nancy pushed him away, giggling. she brushed her curls out of her face. "you're such a pain in my ass,"

"hey nance?"

"yes?"

"please don't tell mom and dad yet, i will when i'm ready."

"not in a million years, mike. i know i've said i don't like queer people but i think i was just confused," nancy confessed, twiddling with her fingers anxiously.

"confused? how so?" he smirked.

"i think i might like a girl," she gagged on her own words, swallowing hard as her admission slid off her tongue.